XXIX. Mega Man

Sonic stumbled as he walked. It was kind of funny; he looked a bit like he was drunk. He rubbed his temples; his headache probably wouldn't be going away anytime soon.

"Does anyone feel that?" Sonic asked, closing his eyes tightly.

I blinked. "Feel what?"

"Like..." He paused. "A hypnotic wave of some sort. Filling my head with thoughts... And not good ones."

"No, I'm not getting that." I said, staring at him, watching for any sign of resistance from him. If he was going to turn on us, it wouldn't be good. "Tempo?"

"I'm also fine..." She stated. "And I'm not getting any sign of a 'wave' of some sort."

Sonic fell to his knees. I ran to him, grabbing his shoulders. "Are you okay?"

"No... It's taking over!" He yelled, putting his head back.

"This has to be Wily's doing." I announced.

Suddenly, he jumped up, and raised his arms up like a zombie. His eyes were crossed and he was snarling like some sort of demented beast; it was completely unlike a robot! I couldn't help but scream. Even Tempo stepped back with a somewhat frightened look on her face.

"Sonic, I-" Before I could finish my sentence, he started to laugh. I was so confused.

"The look on your faces!" He cried out. He was rolling on the floor laughing, thinking the 'joke' was just super hilarious. "Ha ha! That was priceless! I was going to crawl on the floor, but it looks like going all zombie was-"

Tempo was completely enraged. She stomped her foot on Sonic's stomach, making him cough. After that, he chuckled a bit, then looked at Tempo with a fluttering smile on his face, like he was trying incredibly hard not to laugh.

"Do you see this as a joke?" She asked, bending down towards his face. "Do you really think that was that funny?"

"Tempo, it's-" I interrupted.

"No!" She yelled. "You're impatient. I get it. You need every opportunity to entertain yourself. But we just saved your life, and that's how you repay us? By making us think Wily's taken over you again? Scaring us to death and making us believe we have to kill our friend?"

"I-" Sonic tried to say something, but Tempo wouldn't let him.

"You're lucky we don't leave you here to rot." She pushed him a bit with her foot, then went away. "We have a city to save, if you don't mind."

"Can I not even say I'm sorry?!" Sonic screamed with some anger in his voice. "For a robot with no emotions, that was pretty amazing!"

"I wouldn't believe you if you said it." She said, turning away as she did so. Her hair flung over one of her shoulders.

"I guess she didn't find it funny." I shrugged. "I mean, it wasn't exactly great for me either, but she did seem to get a little upset by it."

"A little, huh?" Sonic asked. "That wasn't just a little, Mega Man. She freaked out! Did she get checked for the virus, too?"

I froze. Either of us could have given the virus to her, and Dr. Light hadn't checked her for it. "No. Which means we need to finish this quickly.

Sonic shrugged. "As long as she doesn't lose control, I think we'll be fine."

We looked for an exit from the cave we were stuck in, and we found one. It was a tunnel, and we all had to crawl through it to get to the other side. It took some convincing Tempo to go through it; she wasn't too fond of tight spaces that could possibly crush her.