Mixing Business With Pleasure

Chapter 18:

"Where we headed?" I asked, sparking up a conversation.

"To Singletons headquarters, I have a meeting with him."

"So how many times have you been to New York?"

"This will make my 7th time today, you?"

"It's my first time."

"Have you ever travelled anywhere else?" I asked, my eyes following the towers before I couldn't anymore.

"Yes I have." Damn did he not talk much.

I then grow curious. "So a few days ago when we were in your office..." I start off soon pausing after. Maybe I shouldn't ask, he was probably going to shut down from talking to me.

"Yes?" He pressed for me to continue.

So I just went for it. "Who was that lady? I mean I know she is your mom and all. But what happened?" If that was his mother, why was he talking to her like that?

"That's a long story preferably for another time." He dismissed it as he shifted a little in his seat; must be a sensitive topic. The air seemed tense after that, the air conditioning was working just fine but I felt as if was sitting in a sauna with no way to get out.

"Oh Landon.." I remembered I didn't bring any supplies with me.  "I know this may sound bad and all but I kind of.. left my stuff back at the office- Well I mean your office- and I wanted to let you know beforehand-"

"Embre, there's supplies in the building. Stop worrying so much."

"Me worrying? Never." I took a deep breath, sitting back, so I was good to go then.

The conversation died away after that and I was grateful that he had turned on some music to keep us company and speaking of which...

"I don't need no problems with nobody, I know how to get that, I don't follow me I just need a moment fuck and leave.. you can say you had it all, no strings."  Tinashe sung and my eyes widen before turning to see Landon's facial expression.

"Who would have thought." He laughed before turning the radio station. "Not a fan?"

"Oh no I am, my favorite song is Party Favors and.." Why did I just say that.

"Oh?" He was stunned before he showed his pearly white teeth. "Maybe we should listen to it."

"Maybe we shouldn't." My hand caught his, seeing he wanted to connect with the Bluetooth.

"Why?" He didn't move his hand, instead he took ahold of my hand resting it between the armrest.

"It's just not the typical song you would listen to."

"I listen to all different types of genres, you'll be surprised."

"Scream?"

"That's not what you're into right?" He shoot me a side eye before focusing back on the road.

"No, it doesn't float my boat."

"And what does float your boat?"

"Hip Hop, R&B, a little bit of rap here and there and soul."

"Seems like you were made just for me." He let the words flow out of his mouth like water.

"Yeah just maybe." I took the chance and I must have did something right, feeling his hand grip mine once before he let go.

We arrived fifteen minutes later. "You're not cold?" He asked once we stepped out and I could see the smoke coming out of his mouth from it.

"A little cold never hurt anybody." I walked side by side with him. "Why you don't like it?"