Missing a Piece of Something

Chapter 30:

I wake up to hear a noise and I sit up in alert, rubbing my eyes trying to bring life back into them.
Pulling the duvet back, I get out of bed.. I knew that noise.

I heard it again and my pace quickened trying to get to his room. Quickly opening his door to see him tossing and turning, him mumbling  unintelligent things to himself. Switching his lamp on my eyes landed on his damp shirt. What's going on?

"Landon?" He stirs again but he starts to shake a little like someone just hit him. "Landon!" He doesn't wake up. He's having a nightmare and I didn't know what to do. I was afraid if I would slap him he would go into a seizure or something.

Sleep Paralysis maybe?

"Landon please wake up." I placed my hand over his "Why aren't you waking up?" I was starting to get scared as he began to breathe heavier than before.

"Okay you're scaring me." I tried again. "Wake up-"
I felt his hand tighten around mine as he opens his eyes. His eyes blink rapidly for a few seconds.

His eyes dart over to mine and he sprung into action sitting up and catching a single tear that was preparing itself to roll down my face. "Landon why do you keep doing this?" Something was wrong.

And with him looking down at his shirt, he knew it to. His sweaty palm fell from my face to his lap before he moved over, he looked ashamed that I had caught him again. "You can talk to me." I tried to make him feel comfortable.

We sat there for I don't know how long, the only sound we heard was him moving his duvet back and leaning his head on the headboard before sighing. "I suffer from sleep paralysis and anxiety attacks from time to time." So that time my assumption was correct.

"You get anxiety attacks?" That was news and it didn't seem to have fitted in his character but then again no one could really tell. "Why."

"She left me."

"Who is she?" He doesn't respond, he looks lost in thought. Sitting up he pulled his shirt over his head and off.

I've never seen him be this vulnerable before.  I hesitantly sat on the bed next to him, I didn't want to pressure him into talking. He took my hand. "She left me." He repeated, but he didn't look up at me.

"Your mother? I thought-" My brain was trying to go back in time and sure enough I remembered he said stepmom.

"No, not my stepmom. My mom left me." He empathized on his words, and he even sounded disgusted by them.

"Why?"

He gives a small laugh in disbelief . "I ask the same thing over and over again." And not wanting ask anymore questions, I pulled on his hand for him to come to me. He hesitated at first but he allowed himself the comfort. His hands secured themselves around me as I did him.

He buried his head into my shoulder, I felt his lips quivering and how fast his breathing was coming on the hollow base of my collarbone.

"I was nine, when she left." He began to talk. " I didn't understand at first but then everything seemed to click into place when I had gotten older. I always saw her with this man but I never paid attention. She would always talk to him instead of Dad more. I remember watching her go into a room and I followed her to see her with the same man and I tried to get him away from her because I thought he was hurting her." He took a deep breath before continuing.

"And he threw me to the ground not before hitting me twice and she didn't even care just told me to leave and that's what I did, respecting her wishes all the while ignoring the ache I felt. The next day, I heard my dad and her arguing about missing money and when they finally figured out who did it, she just vanished."