Chapter 20: It's Not You, It's Me

SMUT DISCUSSION IN THE A/N

Homework? Check.

Phone charged? Check.

Appearance? Okay.

Anxiety and mental stability? Sort of.

I sat on the couch in the living room as I waited for Dylan to arrive. Hopefully he remembered what time to come as it was quickly approaching. The closer it was to Dylan arriving, the more anxious I became.

I twiddled my thumbs as I waited for Ally's text. I told her about the date and she insisted on coming over. However, I told her it wasn't necessary and that I'll be perfectly fine handling this myself. That alone almost stripped the little confidence she had of me, since she became more determined, but I reassured her that everything would be fine.

My mind jerked out of their thoughts when I felt my phone vibrate. Looking down, I read the message.

"Is he there yet?"

"Nope."

"He'll come, dont worry"

"I wasnt worrying that much"

Just as I pressed send, the bell rang, igniting the loud drumming in my chest.

I quickly texted Ally that he was here and practically jogged to the door. I placed my hand on the knob, taking in a deep breath to get rid of my nerves, not that it worked.

Opening it, it revealed a very cheerful looking Dylan.

"Hi." We said at the same time causing us to laugh a bit.

"You ready to go?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, just let me get my keys." I said then ran back to the couch where my purse and keychain laid. As I walked back, I made sure everything was in check. Lights were off, t.v was off, fridge was closed.

"Alright. Ready for this hoedown?" I asked immediately regretting my attempt to humor him. I felt my face get hot from the first hand embarrassment.

What a great way to start off the date, huh?

Shut your dirty mouth.

I didn't face Dylan even when I heard his booming laugh.

"You know, not that it was funny, but the way you said it with such certainty really made it better."

"Yeah, yeah." I couldn't help but smile.

We walked to his car and he opened the door for me.

"Thank you." I shyly said and waited for him to walk around to his side after he shut the door.

For some reason, my nerves were really calmed and I was a bit confused at the sudden serenity. Maybe because the date started and I wasn't as worried about it. But that didn't make sense anyway. I would have more nerves, right?

I didn't notice we were driving until Dylan turned on the radio. I heard him groan as a familiar tune roared through the speakers.

"I really hate this song." He said as Drag Me Down played.

"What, how?" I asked utterly shocked at how someone could hate the beautiful song of the angels that blessed the world with their voices.

"It's annoying. I don't even know who this is."

"What?" More disbelief. "How can you not know who this is? It's One Direction."

"Oh God, that's even worse." He laughed and switched the station.