Chapter 6: Hardly PDA

READ THE A/N AT THE END PLEASE

My eyes snap open to the sound of a huge bang on my door. Groaning, I roll out of bed and practically dragged myself to the source that abruptly awoke me. Opening the door, I see my mother stumbling down the hall with her heels in her hand.

Sighing, I look back in my room to see that clock is shining 12:39 am. I groggily rub the sleep away from my eyes and walked to my mother who was struggling to open the door to her bedroom.

"Mom, I thought you weren't going to stay out late anymore." I help to keep her from falling and open her door. I didn't wait for her response as I already started to pull her to her bed.

"I did! Didn't I?" She slurred. She would always go to work early and get back home around this time or later. I used to ask her why she would always drink after work the next day, but she always brushed off my questions. I used to worry but I guess if she didn't care, then I guess I shouldn't either.

In the beginning, about 6 months ago, I used to hear her cry in her room until I fell asleep. I tried talking to her about it but she always shut me out. Soon after that, my father and her officially split up. I knew they wouldn't last, they were always arguing day and night about nothing in particular. Sometimes I felt like they just saw every situation as an excuse to fight. They ordered for a separation after a very, very bad fight. I had to have a glass vase thrown at me in order for them to realize what was happening. And let me tell you, glass does not break instantly. It hit the side of my head and as heavy as it was, knocked me to the ground where I fell as it broke when if hit the ground. It shattered on my side and caused me to have 16 stitches.

So to say I was happy when they got divorced would be an understatement. I was estatic. But the down side was rarely seeing my dad and always being woken up in the middle of the night by my drunk mother.

"Yeah, you did. But I guess all that alcohol messes with your memory. I'm surprised you remembered how to get home." I muttered the last part.

"Honey it's fine. You don't need t-to worry about me. I-I need to worry about you!"

"Mom, just go to bed. I need to sleep. I have school tomorrow."

"Shhh, don't worry i'll be quiet." She whispered.

Sighing with relief that i'll be able to return to my peaceful slumber, I exit her room. As soon as I do, I hear a crash followed by a "Shit! I'm sorry honey, go to bed."

I rolled my eyes and head to my room.

Finally.

Dropping myself in bed, i'm way too awake to feel sleepy anymore, so I spent my time staring silently at the ceiling.

Maybe I should do that homework..

Sliding off my bed, I grab my bag and thank G-d that I only have one homework and it's to read. Taking out Taming of the Shrew, I flick to the page where I left off.

About 10 minutes into reading, my phone rings. I set my book down and walk to my dresser to look at my phone.

 Avery

Roling my eyes, I answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey hotstuff." He says in a hushed voice.

"Gross, don't call me that."

Laughing, he responds. "What are you doing up so late?"

"I could ask you the same thing." I say as I lay down.

"True, true. Did I wake you up?"

"No my mom did."

"How come?"