Chapter 8: Peek Show

After Avery left, I waited a few minutes, then left too. Just to make sure it wouldn't look suspicious, not that it already didn't. He's the known sex-maniac of the school, I could only imagine what the librarian would think.

I looked at the clock on the wall and realized I had about 20 minutes of lunch left. Rushing into the cafeteria, I got a ham and cheese sandwich and thanked G-d that there was hardly a line to pay for it.

 Just as I was turning around, someone bumped into me. Lucky for me, I didn't drop my lunch but that didn't stop the milk that collided with my chest. That's not the worst part, it didn't smell fresh.

"Oh my gosh." That was literally all I could say.

"Shit. I'm sorry, I didn't see you." The deep voice said. I'm assuming it's a boy, but you'd be surprised by the girls I've seen that would have you mistaken.

I wanted to look up but I just couldn't tear my eyes away from the clumpy, white blotch that is soaking through my shirt. Before I could fully process what was happening, I was being dragged out of the cafeteria. Once we entered the hall, we were greeted with silence. Everyone was either in class already or at lunch. All that could be heard was the taps of our feet that echoed off the lockers.

I don't know what brought me out of little daze, whether it was the fact that we entered a brightly lit room or the fact that the room had the aroma of urine. Seriously, it was burning my nose. Everything I smelled was just foul.

Then, if my senses weren’t already being damaged by the odor, it seems like my hearing stopped because when I looked up, I saw the most breathtaking piece of male to belong to the human race. Somehow, I noticed his mouth was moving.

“I’m sorry, what?” I interrupt him while shaking away my thoughts.

Chuckling, he responds. “I said, sorry for your shirt and that I have an extra one in my locker.”

“Oh, um… it’s okay.”

“Are you sure? I feel really bad, I should’ve been looking.”

“No no, it’s fine. Stuff like this happens all the time. I practically have a wardrobe in my locker since my clothes always ends up being soaked with a variety of liquids.” I laughed awkwardly.

“Seriously? That just makes me feel even worse.”

“No, I was lying. This never happened to me. But hey! There’s a first for everything right?”

“Yeah I guess, but it could’ve been avoided.” He lightly rubbed the back of his neck.

“Mistakes happen. We learn from them. You learned to look while you walk with milk, that was spoiled by the way, and I learned that I need to bring extra clothes to school.” I joked.

“So let me get you that shirt.”  He said as we proceeded to leave the bathroom.

“Hey, why did we go into the bathroom?”

“I thought you might have wanted to clean up but I remembered I had extra clothing.”

I nodded as we walked down the hall. As we walked, I attempted to count the lockers we passed. I got up to 13 when the silence was interrupted by him.

“What’s your name by the way?”

That caused me to stop walking, which caused him to stop too. He looked at me with a confused expression but I ignored it and stuck my hand out.

“I’m Grace.”

Nodding in comprehension, since he realized what I was doing, he grasped my hand and introduced himself.