Chapter 12: Marvel Is Nice... Sometimes

In a moment like this, some people wait a life time to be in my position. To be hand in hand with one of the school’s most popular, amazing, uniquely crafted piece of art. To have them want to spend  time with me and in public. To be going to a place where people who are in relationships go.

This was absolutely unreal.

Dylan and I walked out of the school as if it were normal. Except for all the whispers and eye-gawking girls staring at our interlocking hands. Dylan walked as if he took no notice to the small crowd gathering a few feet away. However, I did. As he walked calmly and confidently, I stumbled and tried my hardest to not make eye contact with a single soul as we walked by them.

We were not making it to his car fast enough because I felt shivers from intense gaze people were sending to the back of my head. I felt glares, and jealousy, and hatred, and shock, and various other emotions that only added to my slowly spiking anxiety.

“Where did I park again?” Dylan muttered to himself.

If I wasn’t on the verge of a panic attack, I would’ve commented on how adorable his expression is when he’s forgetful.

But that was the last thing on my mind as the larger the crowd got, just watching us stand in the middle of the parking lot. School was officially out so the sea of people were moving, not necessarily towards us, but their attention remained captured.

“Oh there it is.” Dylan pointed out.

I sighed in relief as we weaved our way through the mass of bodies.

We finally, and thankfully, got through quickly and without disturbance. And of course, Dylan being the beautiful gentleman he is, opened the door for me. But it was like a ripple effect.

The door opens, the crowd gasps. The door closes, the crowd murmurs.

There was absolutely no possible way to hide since everyone saw me already. Maybe I should’ve told him to pick me up at home, on safer hours and less people.

But my mind shut down. It has yet to function properly. It’s just that when Dylan talks to me, my mind goes blank. My thoughts are all jumbled, my words stop flowing and I can’t form a coherent sentence.

Dylan opens his side and hops in with a wide smile on his face.

“So where do you want to go?” He asked while putting his seat belt on.

“Um, I never really had time to think about it.” I laughed nervously.

“Oh-I um if you don’t want to, I understand. I guess I just got a little excited and never thought it through. Do you want me to take you home? It’s okay, we can always do this on another day. Or not even at all, I didn’t even ask if you wanted to go somewhere today. Ugh, I’m such an idiot-“

I should’ve stopped him, but his rambling was the highlight of my day so far. It was just too cute to cut off.

“-why would I just assume you want to hang out with me? Like what type of over-confident douche thinks that just because they ask someone to go on a date with me, that they’ll automatically say yes? I’m really sorry if pressured you into this. I’ll take you home. What am I doing? Am I just going to tell you that you’re going home? What if you don’t want to go home? Did you have plans to go home? Of course you did, you would eventually. There I go again! Assuming things! I don’t know what you’re planning-“

“Dylan-“

“No, I know what you’re going to say-“

“Oh really?”