Chapter 13: Better Than Air

Do you ever get that feeling that someone is watching you? That your moves are being analyzed by something you're not aware of? That the moments you believe are precious is being scrutinized? Or that a simple secret is unknowingly being shared with someone else?

Well that's exactly how I feel.

I've felt like that all through the night with Dylan. The sheer sense that someone might have been stalking us put my fear on the front line. But of course, I couldn't seem spot a person suspicious enough. No one followed us, drove after us, seen the same face more than twice or anyone from the movie that I would have remembered. Not noticeably at least.

I didn't tell Dylan because I thought it might make him want to take me home to feel better. Whether he would've taken me home earlier or not, I still would feel eyes watching me through the window as I lay on my bed now. Which, I shouldn't be since I have the curtains and blinds closed along with the light being off. Not to mention the fact that I'm currently under my heavy blankets that will block out any source of light. No light, no figures can be seen from under here.

Just how I like it.

But, the current silence taking place at 12:56, almost 1 a.m., was hyping my anxiety. Every creak in the floor, the whisper of the nightly wind, and rustling of leaves seem to amplify in sound.

It's been close to 3 hours that I've been home. Alone, if I might add.

My mother has yet to return home. I guess it's going to be a really, really late night for her.

Almost the second my mind drifts elsewhere, I jump from the sound of a tap at the window.

Should I look?

NO, definitely not. That's how people die in movies.

But then they also die if they decided to make up excuses,

Would you rather have Jason stab you in the face as soon as you get up?

No, but at least I might have a chance to escape instead of playing dumb, blaming the wind for the sound of a killer creeping in my window.

Whatever then, get up and look. If you die, we both die. We're going to go down together.

Taking a breath, I lift the blanket off my head and am engulfed by the cool temperature in my room. It only adds to the goose-bumps that my body is emitting.

Am I really going to leave the security of my bed?

Yup.

Shakily releasing the air from my lungs, I swung my feet to the floor, the extremely cold floor.

This is a sign Gracie! Don't do it!

But, of course, I ignore the warning shouts in my head. I proceed to the window with a mission. And it's a very stupid, not well thought out mission I am committing to.

Oh, I'm over exaggerating. Even if there was someone outside, they would have to be dangling from the side of my house since I'm on the second floor with no trees or balcony.

*tap*

I jumped at the sound again. Mindlessly, but continuously walking at a snail's to my window.

*tap*

This time I saw a light shadow bounce off my window.

A rock.

Okay, cool. Whoever it is is a safe distance away from me.

Unless they have a gun. Then I'm screwed.