Chapter 17: Sober Hugs

His lips moved against mine, a rhythm that made my fingers tremble at the side of me. His thumb continued to rub my side, but instead of it feeling uncomfortable, it felt soothing. With each stroke, the more bliss I felt.

I heard him wince as my lips passed over his bruised ones.

See, this should definitely be off limits if I forgot about his damaged faced already.

His breath of pain is what allowed my common sense to kick in and made me realize this moment, if I can call it that, was on his free-will. Which means, he- I mean me- I will regret it as soon as it's over.

"So-" I mumbled when he retracted himself from me.

"Dammit Grace." Avery muttered but fully disconnected himself from me.

"About me getting home-" Nice save?

"Why can't you just kiss me back in peace?" He sighed and placed his forehead against mine.

"Um, because if I don't leave now, I'll regret it later." I muttered, forcing my words to leave without stuttering. My lips still felt as if his were pressed against mine. I could feel the tingle dancing on me and ushering the blush to expose itself.

"Why would you regret it?" He pulled back a little.

"I-I... because- ugh, I don't know. But about the fight earlier, why were you fighting anyway?" I tried to change the topic, although the question would settle the curiosity when I cleaned him up.

"It's not important." He brushed it off, but avoided my gaze. "Okay. Let's make this situation normal again."

"No tell me why you were fighting." I looked past his shoulder, too embarrassed to look him in the eye as I tried to demand an answer from him.

"It's not a big deal." Avery sighed and moved his body against me, resting his head on top of mine and making me place my arms around his waist.

"Well if it's not a big deal then you wouldn't have a problem telling me." I know I was probably being pushy, but I just witnissed him getting beat. Not to give him a bad reputation, but I think he should stick to peace treaties because I know he's strong, but him fighting? All I can say is either Michael has a lot of experience or Avery isn't good with his hands.

"He just mentioned something about seeing you and Dylan at the movies."

Maybe that's who I felt watching me?

"But why would that cause you two to resort to fighitng?" I bit my lip.

"I just... didn't like what he said, that's all." He answered slowly.

"Okay, well if that's all then I should get going." I unwrapped my hands from him and lightly pushed him back.

"Why do you want to leave?" He practically whined and held us tighter together while rocking side-to-side.

"I told you I have a curfew." I lied.

"Do you want me to call your parents to personally ask for permission to keep you out longer?"

"You can try. They won't answer." I laughed knowing it's the truth. My father never answers the phone from strange numbers, while mother is probably sleeping. She rarely sleeps since she's always out drinking and I hardly count passing out drunk as a form of sleeping.

"Then let's have another lesson." He broke away abruptly.

Damn, that was a good hug. He smells good and is warm. It was the perfect combo.

"I'll pass. I think it's time I hit the hay." I tried to fake yawn but it came out looking like I was silently screaming.

"You can't refuse."