Plans to be Made

There was something about a fire that warmed you to the core, even if you were sitting too far to be physically warmed by it. This was how Rey felt, sitting in the forest with Finn next to her. They were silent, staring at the flames and thinking. His jacket was wrapped around her shoulders and his eyes shifted from the orange glow to look at the light flickering across her face. He laced his fingers through hers and smiled before looking down at his feet.

Rey took her own turn looking at him as his eyes were focused elsewhere. She worried that he might be cold without his jacket but he seemed to be just fine, sitting next to her by the small fire. They both had their backs against a large tree, moss acting kind of like pillows behind their heads and underneath them. Rey looked back down at her lap and bit her lip.

"Rey?" Finn's voice broke the near silent aura of the fire crackling. He seemed shaky. She smiled up at him and pursed her lips.

"Yes?" he sighed and looked down, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

"Come here, it's cold." he lifted her a little, pulling her into his lap and she made herself comfortable by straddling his legs. One way or another they always ended up like that. It was oddly comfortable for the both of them.

"That's not all. You know full well that you can't hide things from me." she teased and rested her hands on his shoulders, letting one finger run along his jaw. He was quiet for a while, looking away from her and taking deep breaths. Rey was starting to get impatient by the time he did finally speak up, his voice quivering and eyes wide with terrified excitement. The orange glow poured over his dark skin, making Rey blush for a reason even she didn't understand.

"Rey... I... I want to marry you." she took a small gasp in, feeling excitement, uncertainty, calmness, and assuredness all at the same time. It was nothing like she had ever known before. She searched his eyes, afraid that maybe somehow it was a joke. Last time she had been promised something it was 'We'll be back soon.' Then again, she thought, Finn had come back even without needing to promise her. He wanted her on his own.

His eyes searched hers in return, looking for an answer and getting more and more nervous the longer it took for her to respond. When he saw her eyes start to brim with tears he didn't really understand why, but seeing the wide smile that spread across her face made his heart leap.

"I want to marry you too, Finn." she played with the closely shaved hair at the base of his neck and giggled, the giggles turning into laughter from her and then both of them. Their bibulous laughter only being quieted by soft kisses.

"So that's a yes?" he whispered, lips inches from hers.

"You better believe it's a yes."