Chapter Eighteen - Lunch

After first period, Justin wasn't in any of my other classes. I was disappointed but kind of relieved he wouldn't have to see me embarrass myself some more. I stop at my locker before going to lunch and sigh, setting my books in. I brush my long blonde hair back over my shoulder and tuck a piece behind my ear. Gosh, I'm tired. I grab what I need for the last three classes after lunch and shut my locker, only to be face to face with Marcie. I jump a little, not expecting her to appear. She narrows her ugly eyes at me.

"What?" I put my bag over my shoulder and start walking to the lunchroom, my sneakers making me four or five inches shorter than her as she walks alongside me.

"You know Justin?" she asks, trying to sound nice and curious, but we both know she knows the answer. Marcie knows everything that goes on in this school.

"Yeah." I keep it short, not daring to look at her, taking out my phone and pretending to be busy.

"I talked to him" she pops her gum annoyingly.

"I honestly do not give a shit" I say it slow, hoping it gets through her thick scull.

"He doesn't like you."

I look at her, stopping in my tracks, "What?"

"I talked to him, and he says he doesn't like you" she inspects her nails.

She's lying. Or maybe she's right. Right or wrong it's not shocking. "I don't care."

"Yeah, you do. You like him." Before I can deny it she continues, "but, I got dibs, so back off." She flutters her fake lashes, flips her extensions over her shoulder and walks away.

I roll my eyes.

'Back off' my ass.

I walk into the cafeteria and head for my usual seat toward the back. My eyes go to the window. The weather looks nice. Maybe I should eat outside today. I quickly make my way out the back door to the room and into the warm sun. The ground is a little damp so I walk to an empty table and sit down. The air is fresh and helps clear up my head. I dig in my backpack for my water bottle, setting my phone on the table. As I search, my phone screen lights up. I pause and look at it. A text from Justin. I groan and pick up my phone unlocking it and opening the text.

From: Justin

Hey Dem, where ya at?

He wants to know where I am. I can't help but smile. Who am I kidding trying to push him away. I can never just let myself be happy, can I? I guess after learning his secret I just don't feel that comfortable around him.

I send a text back.

To: Justin

Hey. Im sitting in the schoolyard out back.

Seconds later I get a reply.

From: Justin

Im comin

I turn off my screen and set my phone back down, finding my bottle of water and sipping it. I'm not really hungry. Too much to think about.

You can trust him.

Ignore Marcie.

Let Justin like you.

"Hey!"

I turn and look up at a smiling Justin as he slides onto the bench seat on the opposite side of the table, setting down his backpack and lunch tray.

"Hey, Justin." I fix my beanie on my head.

"This school is crazy big" he awes, opening up his bottle of water and starting to drink some.

I nod, "Yeah, you get used to it though."

He sets down his bottle, "yeah. So, how are you?"

I grin. He cares. "I'm okay, thanks."

"I know what I told you was a lot to handle..." he looks at me, "I'm sorry, really, I just felt like I should."

I hold my head, my headache resurfacing.

"You're the only person I've told.... I mean, we're friends, so...." He can't seem to finish his thoughts.

Friends? He considers us friends? I mean, after me hanging out with him as Wolfy- "This is crazy" I sigh.

"I know."

"I've gone insane. I just... don't know anymore, I-"

He grabs my hand, shocking me. I look up into his eyes, which meet mine. My breath catches. Oh dear God those eyes. "I'm really sorry, Dem."

"I-I-I" I blush deep red. I can't find my words.

His thumb brushes over my knuckles and I look down at my hand in his, biting my lip hard. "I trust you."

I look back into his eyes.

A grin grows on his curved lips, and he lets go of my hand, going back to his lunch.

I smile, "Thank you."

The rest of lunch is quiet, except for a small conversation of how his first day is going so far, then the bells rings and we both get up. I'm about to walk away when he grabs my elbow.

"Mind if I stop by your house after school?"

I grin, "Not at all."