Chapter 22 - It's War

Justin's POV

"You've got to be kidding me Justin" my father slammed his fists on the table and got up to face me in the dimly lit room.

I had just walked in the door, closing it behind me. I cringed at his voice. He's mad. I know he is. I know I smell like Dem. I couldn't meet his eyes. I kicked off my shoes.

"Justin, I'm not going to let you destroy what we have as a pack. You're making a huge mistake." His voice is firm; I can tell he's trying not to snarl at me. I stay silent so he continues, "You are bringing a human into our business, whether you realize it or not. This is dangerous for all of us. And if any other packs find out about this nonsense- it'll be a war."

I make my way across the room, stuffing my hands in my pockets. "She doesn't need to know anything. Neither does anybody else."

He steps up to me and grabs the collar of my sweatshirt, forcing me to look at his stone cold eyes. "Justin! Everyone will know! Word will get out! You are putting our family in danger!" He's yelling now, his face inches from mine. I can see the shift happening in his eyes, as they turn bright yellow out of rage. He bares his teeth at me which are shifting to long fangs.

"I want to be normal! I didn't ask to be this way!" I shout back, pulling his hands off my collar and backing up from him. "You did this to me, made me this way. All I want to do is go to school and make friends. I'm not putting us in any danger."

My dad is furious and I watch as he takes a deep breath to ensure he doesn't change out of anger. His eyes go back to normal. He clenches his jaw. "You are putting us all in danger, whether you see it or not. If you don't leave that girl alone, there's going to be problems- for us, and for her" he threatened.

"If anyone touches her, I'll kill them. Simple as that" I grit my teeth, and push past him, making my way up the steps to my room. I'm not listening to his bullshit anymore. What's the worst that can happen? Everyone acts like this is such a forbidden concept. In case my dad forgot, my mom was once a human too. She was when they met. Although she's passed on now, I know she would have let me see Dem. She was always, from what I can remember, very accepting and sweet to me. Unlike my father.

I was alone in my room less than two minutes before Derek's dumbass came busting into the room. I groaned.

"Justin, what the hell dude? I hear you're tryna sabotage us?" Derek swept a hand through his hair, watching me.

Derek was family- whether I liked it or not. We grew up together, and used to be close when we were younger. Since then we've grown apart. He's like a brother to me; and we actually get mistaken for brothers a lot because we look very similar. "I'm not trying to do anything. Now can you fuck off?" I roll my eyes and shuffle through the papers on my desk that sits across from my bed. A lamp on the desk lights the room. Above my desk is a row of three posters- one Nirvana, one Alice In Chains, and one Soundgarden. My window was open, letting in the cold fresh air of the woods surrounding the cabin.

"Dude, seriously. What the hell is going on? Your dad is pissed, and the rest of the pack is going to hear about this. So you're better off explaining yourself now."

I sigh and sit down in the desk chair, turning to face him. "Why is it even your business, Derek? Honestly."

He leaned in the doorframe, "because your father is saying that you are putting all of us in danger. So I think I deserve to know what's going on."

"My father is just mad I'm trying to be a regular person. He wants me to be all focused on the pack, and focused on becoming the next leader. But I don't give a shit. I'm trying to live my life. Now just, leave me alone. Please."

With that Derek gave up, walking back down the hallway. I breathed out a long breath, standing up. I closed my bedroom door and took out my phone, debating on texting Dem. I was feeling so torn. Am I actually putting Dem in danger...? I don't think I am. I think my father is full of empty threats. This werewolf stuff is bullshit. I can live however I like. And no one is going to stop me.

—————-

The next morning I was woken up by banging on my door. I groaned, rolling over. It had to be early as hell because the sun had barely risen, my room was still dark. I got up and wandered over to the door, opening it. "What?" I was faced with Derek, again.

"Family meeting. Wake up princess" he nudged my shoulder before disappearing downstairs.

Fuck. A family meeting only meant my father was bringing this to everyone's attention. I was screwed. He was going to ruin everything for me. And why so damn early? Seriously.

I threw on some sweats and a T-shirt, leaving my room and making my way downstairs. Meetings were always in the basement. It was a big area where we had set up a huge table and chairs- a decent meeting place. The whole pack could fit, even the members who didn't live here. I took a deep breath and made my way down the narrow staircase and into the dimly lit room. Everyone was sitting around the table- my father at the head, followed by the three that lived here, and extending to about seven other pack members- male and female. I made my way to the only empty seat.

"We're here today to discuss the warning from a neighboring pack" my father started. I noticed he had some fresh scratches on his face and neck- he looked rough.

I was a little surprised. A warning? So he wasn't going to expose me to everyone?

"About two hours ago I was drawn out of my sleep and to the woods. I was met with a member of a neighboring pack- Ray. Ray informed me that his pack leader, Santos, has been watching us and is soon planning an attack."

The whole room was silent, everyone looked at each other nervously. An attack?

"Santos wants to take over these woods. He wants to claim this land for him and his pack. We are in danger of losing everything we have."

My mind went to the black wolf I had run into. He must be Santos. He had to be. He was big and strong like a leader. He took me out like it was no problem.

"We all need to watch our backs. Be more aware. Members of this pack are everywhere, watching us. And we can't let them have an advantage. When they do decide to attack, we need to be ready. All of us." He looked around the room, his eyes meeting mine for a moment. I know this is what my father had been fearing- confrontation from another pack. It's happened in the past, but it's been quiet for years. We've lived in these woods for so long without a problem. "I will be working on plans for us. For our attack. For now I just need all of you to have this in the back of your mind. Don't be caught lacking."

I sat back against my chair and ran a hand through my tangled hair. God damn it. Now I have to be on edge even more than I have been. That wolf already has tabs on me. He knows me and my scent. He knows where Dem lives. He knows her scent too. We are both in danger. How am I going to explain this to her...?

"We will handle this accordingly. And we will win. I promise all of you that. We will not lose this place that we call home. We will not have to wander the woods trying to find a new home. We've done it before, and we lost many of us because of it. We won't let that happen again." There was silence for a moment. "We will all keep in touch. We will check in with each other regularly. And all of you are welcome in this home if you do not feel safe elsewhere."

The whole room broke into quiet conversations. Everyone was scared, but we knew we were strong. I was more concerned that an enemy had tabs on Dem. They could use her as a pawn- knowing that I'm close to her. This could go badly.

"Justin" my dad said quietly, leaning close to me.

I leaned in too. Not wanting everyone to hear us.

"Justin, you're putting that girl in danger. You need to keep your distance at least until this is resolved."

I nodded. He was right this time. But should I keep my distance or stay close to her to protect her? My father didn't know but they knew about her already. It was too late. I didn't want to tell him about my run in with Santos. He would only be furious I didn't tell him sooner.

"Please, Justin. We need to protect our family right now. I need you to focus on this issue before anything else."

I nodded again, "Okay. I understand."

What the hell was I going to do...?