Chapter Twenty- If you cared...

Justin's POV

"How was school yesterday?"

The voice startles me and I turn and look into the living room to see my father sitting in the arm chair. Its early in the morning and sunlight is just starting to creep in through the windows. All the lights are off. I didn't think anyone was around.

"Um, it was great. Yeah." I stand awkwardly, feeling uncomfortable under his heavy gaze. He almost never talks to me. Why is he now?

"Does that girl go to your school?" He stands up.

"What girl?" I know exactly who hes talking about but I don't show it.

"That girl you wanted to go on a date with before, she goes to your school? Have you been seeing her?" his tone was serious and demanding.

I shrug. It's none of his business what I do.

"You smelled like her when you came home yesterday. Reeked of her, actually."

I curse under my breath. Nice try Justin. You can't hide. "Yeah, I saw her at school. Said hi and apologized. She was upset you wouldn't let me see her." I narrow my eyes at him. Maybe I can make him feel guilty.

"I told you to stay away from that girl."

"I don't care what you told me. You can't make me do anything." I cross my arms.

"Don't you realize you're putting yourself and her in danger?" He runs a hand through his graying hair, his stone cold eyes on me.

"No, I'm not. I gotta go to school, we can talk about this later" I hurried to the door and put on my shoes.

He trailed behind me, "You're being stupid, Justin. If you cared about her, you'd stay away from her."

I ignore him and storm out the door, slamming it behind me, "Fuck you" I mumbled, but deep down I know he's right.

I jog down the steps and across the yard, my bones starting to shift and fur growing at a rapid speed. My transformation feeds on my anger, making it faster and almost painless, until I'm full wolf and running out into the trees. 

My mind continues to roll over his words. Keeping Dem close will put her in danger... but so far it's been safe. I don't want to ignore her or push her away. Every time I'm around her I can just feel the want rolling off of her. She likes me. She wants me around. She needs me.

And I need her.