Chapter Four- Lost

Did you like the last chapter? Just so you readers know, comments are awesome! I love to read your opinions, bad or good! Thanks everyone who is reading this, that means you forgave me for taking forever to post, and decided to read on! Thanks everyone!

Chapter Four

Dem's POV

My phone chirped, sending me jumping up in a cold sweat. I looked around. I was... home? I was lying in my bed, everything normal. How did I get here? It must've just been a dream, just a dream? I sighed, forcing a laugh, even though I felt more like crying. I picked up my phone and checked the screen. It was a call from my mom.

"Hello?" I answered, my voice cracking.

"Hey, honey? Are you feeling okay?" she asked.

"Wha-what do you mean?" I asked confused.

"You don't remember? Last night I called the cops when you didn't come home, and they found you asleep in the woods. What were you doing there?" she asked concerned.

"It wasn't a dream?" I whispered aloud to myself.

"What?"

"Nothing. Um... I really don't know what led me there. Can I call you back later?" I asked.

"Sure, Sweetie. Have a good day, okay? Take it easy."

"Okay, mom, thanks" I said, hanging up.

It wasn't a dream. Damn. That means... my imaginary wolf is real? Or I did go in the woods, but imagined him. But, he felt so real. His eyes, they burned right down into my heart. And his soft fur, I felt it on my skin. It had to be real, it had to.

I crawled out of bed and wondered up to my vanity mirror. Ug. I took a shower, then got dressed ripped jeans and a white tee. I tied up my hair with a ribbon, not bothering with make-up, then went down the stairs. After having a quick bowl of cereal, I hopped in my car and took a slow drive around town. There was nothing to do! No one to talk to, no place to go. Maybe I could head back to the woods? I turned around and stopped my car where I had yesterday, getting out and trudging out into the fall-leaf scattered woods.

I wonder if wolfy was here again today? In a way, I wanted to see him, to prove to myself he was real, not fake. It had felt so so real, but in a way it was impossible. A wolf can't act like a human. He can't shake his head no, or help you up, or understand a word you say. He's an animal, for God's sake. Was I crazy? Was I going insane now? I have no one, so now I'm gonna go psycho, and by next year I'll be one of those crazy kids who goes to school and shoots her classmates. Ug!

A far off sounding howl broke the silence and my train of thought. I looked around, nothing to be seen. Maybe that was my wolf? I started walking quickly in the direction I thought the howl had come from, keeping my eyes cautiously ahead. Another identical howl sounded off, and I could tell I was closer now. I started jogging, feeling like these woods were endless.

Soon enough, I came to a slight clearing, only to come face to face with a wolf. Not my wolf. Not good. This wolf had black fur, and was much much bigger and scarier. It turned to look at me, bearing it's teeth in a snarl.

I started to quickly walk backwards, "It's okay wolf, I thought you were someone else, I won't hurt you...."

It growled, making me jump.

Not good, not good, not good!

"It's okay, I'm leaving now...."

It howled, calling to it's pack and I started running away as fast as I could. I didn't look back until I finally collapsed in a large pile of leaves. The wolf hadn't bothered to follow. Good.

"That's right, don't follow me or you'll get your ass kicked, dumb wolf" I murmured.

I sighed and stood up, brushing myself off. Wait, which way did I come from? I looked around, panicked. Okay, I ran straight, following the wolf, then turned straight back, so that means if I head straight I should make it back to my car. I deicided that sounded like a good plan and headed out.

Hours past- or at least it felt like it- and it seemed like I just kept passing the same oak trees over and over again. Everything appeared the same. Was I going the right way? Maybe I'm just heading farther and farther into the woods. Not a sound was made, no cars, no animals, no wolves. It seemed like I was the only one among the trees. How long have I been walking? After a while with no luck, I turned back, heading the way I had come. Maybe I went the wrong way in the beginning, if I just go back I should find my way back.

A while later, my feet were starting to hurt really, really bad. I sat down, blowing out a sigh, taking a good look around. Where am I? How big could these woods possibly be? Maybe I was just walking in circles. I put my head in my hands, taking deep breaths, trying to control myself.

A twig snapping made my head shoot straight up.

Standing a few feet away was the brown-eyed wolf. A quiet, calm woof emerged from his throat.

"Can you help me?" I felt so stupid talking to a dog.

Another low woof. He came up to me, his body brushing up against me, then he slowly started to walk away.

"Do you want me to follow you?" I whispered.

Another woof.

I decided, even though it seemed so wierd, I trusted the wolf, and followed behind him. I had to jog to keep up with his quick pace.

In a couple of minutes, I could see the road in the distance. Oh my god, I must be crazy. An animal just led me back to my car.

"Thanks, Wolfy" I said. With a shaky hand, I reached out and petted his head. Maybe he's a nice wolf.

He rubbed his head into my palm, his eyes closing, enjoying my gentle touch. I still couldn't get over how human he was.

"I'll see you tomorrow, okay, Friend?" I told him.

He nodded.

"Bye!" I called back as I ran to my car.

*

I layed awake in my bed. It's official, I'm a psycho. I'm talking to a wolf, who led me home, and it's all... all, just so messed up. And he's so human. It's like he understands me, and what I'm saying. I wonder... is he like me? He doesn't fit in with the other wolves and they don't like him, so he turns to me. Just like how I don't fit in, so I turn to him. And I guess I kind of just made a date with a wolf. What is wrong with me?