Silent (Request for Me-my-mine)

Claire's POV

Actions speak louder than words. 

That's what my mom always told me. I used to cry a lot. Not in front of people. I would wait until I could be alone in my room. Then I would curl up and cry. Mom used to tell me that just because I couldn't speak didn't mean I couldn't be like everyone.

I was born mute.

It was hard. A lot of people made fun of me for that. When Mom told me about my father, Apollo and this camp I was almost excited.

I would definitely miss her but I thought of it as an escape. These people would understand better because all of us were all strange and unique to the outside world, right? But it was the exact same.

I wanted Mom again. I was missing my old school even. 

But he made me want to stay.

*****

"And she was so ugly. Like I don't even get why Chris would want someone like Clarisse," a few Aphrodite girls squealed. 

Normally I would've relaxed a little. Piper was there leader. Typically she would tell them to quit. But I noticed that she wasn't there. I started to walk faster to avoid them.

"Well, look who it is," one of the Aphrodite girls sneered. I was walking fast when I was suddenly pushed down to the ground. My face smashed against the dirt.

I could feel the blood drip from my nose.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you, ugly," one of them spun me around to look at them. 

I looked her up and down and raised my eyebrows. 'like you're better,' I thought to myself. 

The girl glared at me and grabbed me by my collar. I was close to her face. Her perfume made my nose sting and make me want to sneeze. I held it back because I didn't want to anger them more.

The girl pulled back her hand to punch me but the bell rang throughout the forest, signaling lunch time. 

"You're so lucky. My salad is calling my name," the girl snapped and realsed me, "bye freak." She pushed me against a tree. All of the other girls glared as they walked by.

*******

"How are you doing?" 

I flinched at the voice as I picked up one of the magic bowls. Instantly my bowl filled with cereal.

Most people would think that the voice was nice but I knew differently. Luke was cold and mean.

"What? So you're just going to ignore me and not say anything?" Luke joked. I clenched my jaw to keep from reaching for my dagger. 

"I'd stop that," someone else snapped. I looked at who it was and I was surprised.

Nico di Angelo stood a few inches taller than Luke. He was more muscular too.

"Why's that?" Luke didn't even look at Nico. I tried to pass him but he clamped down on my wrist. I could already feel the bruise.

I sat down my cereal and pushed Luke back hard. He fell back and slammed against a table. I picked up my knife and three it just above his head. 

"I told you not to," Nico said. Luke just stared at us in shock. Nico grabbed my arm and pulled me away from glaring and shocked eyes.

***

3 years later

"I love you," Nico said. Our bodies were pressed together. Our hands joined with Nico staring at the engagement ring he gave me.

I missed his hand to reply.

Maybe my mom was right. Actions do speak louder than words.

Nico showed that he cared by defending me. I showed I cared my kisses and smiles. Even though I was silent my life was good.