Chapter Six - Breakdown

I was heading to P.E. with Bree, who was skipping like a freak show as she belted out a Taylor Swift song. Which one I’m not sure, they all sound the same to me. I’d said that to Bree once and had received an open hand across my ear. I’d never said anything about her again, good or bad.

“So what are you gonna do?” she asked excitedly as she took a break from her song. She was puffing slightly already from skipping and singing so loudly, and a faint red tinge had spread across her cheeks. I gave her a sideways look signalling I had no idea what she was talking about. “Morgan’s in our P.E. class,” she said with an eye roll.

“I’m not telling you,” I stated.

“Why not?” she cried, looking upset.

“Because you can’t keep quiet about these things. You’ll let it slip,” I said, giving her a serious look.  It was true. She may be able to keep the really important secrets, but she had a tendency to forget about the little ones. She pouted.

“I’m sorry!” she whined.

“I know, I know. It’s not your fault you have the attention span of a two year old and the memory of a goldfish.” My last word sparked her interest. Her head shot up and she grinned again, her eyes sparkling and her face practically glowing.

“Speaking of which...?” she asked. I shook my head.

“Not yet. That one’s too good to waste straight away,” I said with a smirk.

“But you’ve got something planned for this lesson right?” she asked, looking a little worried.

“Aw nah shit Sherlock!” I declared in my ‘duh’ voice. She rolled her eyes at me.

“I was just making sure,” she defended. “So have you decided what you’re going as for Alicia’s part yet?” she asked. I tipped my head back and groaned loudly, now dragging my feet behind me. “I’ll take that as a no?” she asked. I glared at her. I’d completely forgotten about that!

If I wasn’t going with Kyle then I’d be completely psyched. Simply for the fact that I could dress up as either something totally gruesome, like a horror-movie victim, or completely epic, like Barney the Dinosaur. But seeing as I was going with a date, I had to dress ‘cute’. According to Bree at least. If it were about anything else I would have argued that she had no idea what she was talking about, but Bree knows her stuff when it comes to three things; clothes, makeup, and boys. She’s good at a whole heap of other stuff too, but those are her fortes.

The only reason teenage boys threw costume parties was to get the girls into skanky outfits. And the only reason girls threw costume parties was to get away with wearing skanky outfits. It was like Halloween. You could wear what you want and no one could say damn about it.

“You need to help me, please?” I pleaded, pulling my best puppy dog face that I’d learnt from her.

“Well duh,” she said, rolling her perfectly madeup eyes at me again. “Of course I’ll help you. I was waiting for you to ask,” she stated, flicking her dark blonde hair over her shoulder. “But we won’t be able to go until your punishments over,” she reminded me. I groaned again.

“That gives me one day to find a costume, wash and dry it!” I exclaimed.

“Oh trust me, we can do it,” she reassured me, linking her arm back through mine.

“You’re awesome chicky-dee,” I told her.

“I know!” she cried excitedly. I laughed at her.