Chapter 9: A Date for Charity?

Chorong's POV

3 days before the incident...

"Do we really have to do this?"

Eunji whined as we headed into town to do the shopping and pick up deliveries for work. We were asked by our boss, the catering queen, to pick up a few things that were pre-ordered by the hotel and deliver them at the event tonight.

We've been working with them for a week now and they have just been a breath of fresh air. We work after school for two hours, then make our way home to study. We don't stay late because our boss doesn't want us to fail our grades. Every time we ask her for overtime, she would constantly nag us about studying and grades, "You're not failing under my watch!" She's almost like an older sister or cool aunty that always nags us but with good intentions.

"Yes, we do," I reminded her, "it's our job and besides it's Friday so let's have fun okay?" I was trying to cheer Eunji up but she was so tired today for some reason. I can't blame her, it was Friday afternoon and any normal teenager would either be resting with Netflix or hanging out with friends at a nice bar. We don't have that kind of luxury. I feel bad for her, she's always working hard and I wish to see her smile and laugh enthusiastically.

We got off the bus and walked to the cake shop to pick up a delivery box that was waiting for us at the pick-up counter. "Please sign this before leaving," the lady at the counter asked and I did so. I carried the box and bid the lady our gratitude before trailing off outside to the main road in hopes of catching a nearby taxi.

"This week was pretty weird at school if you ask me," Eunji said as she looked out to the street to see if there were any available taxis. "Same," I agreed. Jimin didn't speak to me once in class the entire week, not even in class when we handed in our assignment. It was like, he acted as if I didn't exist and that we were complete strangers.

He must have been busy because his group was also absent from the school halls the entire week and the school was on its toes. I think everyone knew what was going on besides me and Eunji. I decided to brush it off anyway and focus in class.

"Look, over there," Eunji pointed at a car parked a few cars down, it was a taxi. I smiled and we both jogged up to it, careful not to move the box. We didn't want to break the cake or whatever was inside.

I knocked on the glass and the driver was on his phone. He looked up and quickly called us in. I jumped in the back with Eunji and gave our address to the driver. We were to go to Gangnam again for another event. To serve food at a charity fundraiser event to help disabled individuals. The location was in Gangnam but in an open Park.

This was meant to be huge with many donors coming in and donating and a lot of auctions of artwork, so it's expected that a lot of food and drink servings will be served tonight. Once the taxi driver stopped, I paid the fee and was about to make my out when something caught my eye in the front seat of the taxi.

"What is that?" I pointed to the newspaper in between his seat and the hand brake.

"This week's headlines," he answered and handed it to me. I couldn't believe my eyes when it was in my hands. I looked back at the driver with wide eyes who looked puzzled at my sudden reaction.

"Sorry, can I have this?" I asked him whilst hugging the newspaper to my chest. He just nodded and I got off the car and turned to Eunji who was still waiting. "What took you so long?" She whined for the fifth time this afternoon, "I'm hungry and angry....I'm hangry" she laughed at her own joke. Haha, she's adorable but annoying. She was pushing my patience button.

I gave her shoulder a nudge and she almost tripped holding onto the box. "Look," I showed her the front cover of the newspaper. "Did you...?" She was lost in words. The two groups were plasters on the front cover from the newspaper and were shot together in a club. The exact club we both snuck in the very same day and we also took pictures.