Chapter 19 - Black Bird

Eliza watched Draco as he transmuted a piece of parchment into a live bird. It was black this time, but not like a crow. It was rather small. Draco held it gently between his hands and looked at Eliza.

"You don't have to be here, I understand." He said gently.

"No, I want to. I might as well start desensitizing myself now, before our next meeting with the Dark Lord." She said shakily.

Draco nodded and set the bird into the cabinet. Eliza inhaled deeply and grasped Draco's free hand, his other hand now held his wand.

"Harmonia Nectere Passus." He murmured, concentrating deeply.

The same, familiar warping sound signalled that the bird had vanished.

"Harmonia Nectere Passus." He whispered again.

Nothing.

"Harmonia Nectere Passus." 

Nothing.

Eliza looked up at him with a small smile, egging him on.

"Harmonia Nectere Passus." He said once more.

There was the warping sound once again. However, this time, there was another sound. One that was unexpected. It was the muffled tweeting of the bird.

Eliza and Draco looked at each other in shock. Draco quickly opened the cabinet and the tiny black bird emerged, safe and intact.

"We did it!" They both shouted before pulling each other into a desperate embrace.

Draco frantically pecked Eliza's neck to show his happiness. She smiled so brightly. Merlin, he loved her smile.

"You. Are. A. Genius." He said between each little kiss, ending on her forehead.

After a few more minutes of celebration, the duo, more confidently this time, put the bird back into the cabinet.

They managed to successfully recreate the results five times and with all the excitement of achieving Eliza's task, Draco picked her up and swung her around.

She let out a carefree laugh and begged him to put her down, which he eventually obliged to. Spring Break was in two days and Draco was so relieved to know that Eliza would be safe.

"Come with me," Draco said calmly as he took Eliza's hand and pulled her out of the Room of Requirement.

They stood there by the door for a few moments before Draco reopened it and ushered Eliza back inside. Eliza found a room that she had never seen before.

Inside, the entire floor was fitted with a mattress and there were pillows scattered all over the place. She looked at Draco confusedly.

"I'm lazy and tired, I guess it took my desires into account." He shrugged, before closing the door and flopping onto the mattress floor.

Eliza soon sat down beside him, resting her head on his chest.

"I wish I could be this close to you all the time." She said, her voice slightly sad.

"Me too." He sighed.

They lay there in a comfortable silence for a while until Draco sat up, causing Eliza to do the same.

"It's rather warm tonight, isn't it?" Draco commented, pulling his favourite black jumper over his head.

Eliza watched him as he unknowingly flexed his biceps while folding his jumper and setting it down next to him. His muscles were easy to see, as he wore a fitting black t-shirt. She could see his whole body tense up as he regarded the Dark Mark on his arm.