Chapter 23 - I Love You

Two weeks had passed and Draco was yet to receive the message he was dreading. Eliza had noticed he had lost weight and he was paler than usual, which was saying something.

She could tell that he wasn't sleeping much, not that she could blame him. She hadn't been sleeping a lot either since she had gotten used to having him there with her.

She felt ten times more alone now, as Draco was beginning to withdraw, only ever speaking to her when he did his weekly check-ups on her arms to make sure that she wasn't cutting again.

At that moment, she had been watching him from the far end of the table in the Great Hall. He was playing with his food, not that he had dished much, to begin with.

She decided then and there that she was going to help him. She followed him as he left, watching him as he made his way to the common room. He was quite aware of her presence but chose not to react.

He walked into his room, standing aside so that she could come inside as well. He closed the door and looked at her.

"Draco." She breathed, looking back at him with concern.

It was then that Draco lost it. Before he could stop himself, he threw himself into her arms, crashing into her the way a tidal wave might have crashed over a skyscraper and began to shake, as he forced himself to hold in his tears.

"I don't know if I can do it, 'Liza. I don't know if I can k-kill him." He mumbled into her hair.

Eliza rubbed circles on his back and held him tighter.

"It's going to be okay. I'm sure the Dark Lord will call soon and you can just get it over with. If you really can't do it, Snape will. It will all work out." She whispered, hoping to fool herself in the process.

Draco looked at her with sad, glossy eyes.

"You know that's not true." He said quietly.

"Probably not. But I'll tell you one thing that is true. I will be there for you. I will be there when you have to kill him. I will be there to pull you back together afterward. I will be there no matter what the outcome is." Eliza said in a determined voice.

Draco was silent for a while before he suddenly leaned in for a deep but brief kiss. When he pulled away, he looked at her with loving eyes.

"I love you." He said softly.

Eliza felt warm. It felt as if her stomach was eating away at itself, but she didn't mind.

"I love you too." She replied, before kissing him again, lightly.

Draco pulled her into an embrace and the two stood there like that for at least five minutes. They eventually pulled away when they heard a tapping sound at the window. It was Draco's eagle owl, Hyperion.

Before Eliza could comprehend what was happening, Draco had opened the letter which was tied to Hyperion's leg, his face straitening almost immediately.

"What does it say?" She asked quietly, even though she had a feeling she knew already.

Draco silently handed her the letter. It was written in elongated, swirly ink.

Ready the cabinet at 7 o' clock tonight. It is time.

Eliza looked at the clock. It was half past six. She grabbed his hand and led him towards the Room of Requirement, not caring that some of the Slytherins in the common room had seen them as they held hands.

It's not like they were going to be seeing any of them for much longer...