Jamie & the Fender Bender

(16 years old)

"Are you sure you want to drive there by yourself?" Coach Sullivan asked, unsure of the decision. "It's a pretty long haul."

"I like the time to myself before a meet," I reiterated. "And plus I actually like driving."

Especially long distances.

"Kids these days," he muttered. "If you insist, I'll see you there no later than 3:30."

"I'll be there," I promised, already heading out of his office.

Freedom at last.

I tossed my backpack into the backseat of my Audi, retrieving my pre-track meet snack as I started up my car, cranking up the radio.

Just me, my grapes, and the open road for the next 45 minutes.

Even though I was only 16, driving seemed almost second nature to me. When teaching me how to drive, my mom had even commented that it seemed like I'd been doing this my entire life.

And it truly felt like I had.

Driving gave me time to clear my head, a chance to breathe. I can't quite put a finger on what I loved about it so much, but I just loved being behind the wheel of a car.

And my parents loved it too. They loved sending me on last minute grocery store runs and to fill up the gas tanks on their cars. Well my mom at least. My dad wasn't so keen on letting me drive his convertible.

My dad wasn't so keen on letting my drive really at all, which is why I got my license three days later than I was supposed to.

It took a lot of begging and pleading, and a little bribery, but eventually he relented. And usually I have my mom on my side when I'm arguing with my dad, but she stepped back on this one, so it was just me left to my own defenses.

But I could play my dad like a guitar. He's such a pushover.

Not necessarily when it comes to driving. Because after I got my license I got a 3-hour lecture on the safety and importance of being behind the wheel of a car and taking my life in my own hands and so on. But on most things, he's generally a pushover.

I eased to a stop at the red light ahead, popping another grape in my mouth as I hummed along with the song currently topping the Top 25 on the Billboard charts.

The light turned green and I eased off the brake, my phone vibrating in the center console to inform me that I had an incoming text message.

It would have to wait.

I was taking the back route to the track meet today, a route I wasn't all-too familiar with but I knew well enough.

I rounded a sharp corner, a car right behind me, and I was immediately met by a red stoplight, a car already waiting there.

I slammed on my brakes, but there wasn't time to stop, and I barreled into the car in front of me at almost full impact.

My body slammed forward as I hit the car, jolting every bone inside of me as I strained against the seat belt, my head rocking forward.

And then the car behind me slammed into me, sending me flying back against the seat, my head rocking backwards.

There was a moment of silence, as the three of us realized what had just happened.

And then there was absolute chaos.

I continued to sit in my car, shock radiating throughout my body.