Naomi & the Tough Diagnosis

(Theodore: 13-years old)

"I'm not sick," Theodore said, squirming in his seat. "Why do I have to be here?"

I offered him a smile. "Your teachers said you've been struggling in class, doing your work."

He shrugged. "It's boring."

"I understand that. We're just ruling some things out."

The lobby door opened, and Lee came in, making a beeline for us.

"Sorry I'm late, kid," Lee said, plopping down next to me.

"Story of my life," Theodore muttered.

I raised an eyebrow at Lee to which he just sighed.

I'd been more adamant that Lee start parenting Theodore. I didn't expect him to get away with sassing his parents, but I wasn't always going to be the disciplinary.

"We'll talk after," Lee said, with a sigh.

I know that being a tough parent for Theodore was hard for him. His parents had always been more relaxed in their upbringing, whereas mine hadn't.

And we were struggling to find middle ground.

"Theodore Adams?"

Both Lee and I stood at the mention of our child's name, but the nurse ushered for us to sit back down. "We're just taking his vitals. And then the doctor wants to talk to him without the presence of his parents."

I nodded. There's a chance that Theodore will speak more openly without the presence of his parents.

"I love you, honey," I said, kissing his cheek. "We'll be back there in just a few minutes."

He immediately wiped it off.

Lee was a bit more reluctant, speaking to Theodore in hushed tones for a moment.

Lee squeezed his shoulder, still standing as he watched Theodore followed the nurse back.

"Does he look skinny to you?" Lee asked, turning to face me. Concern was etched across his face. "Has he been eating?"

I nodded. "He has your body type, tall and lean."

He collapsed in the chair next to me. "Well mine is mixed with improper eating habits. I don't want to pass that onto Theo."

I rubbed his arm in circular motions, waiting for his anxiety to calm back down.

We sat in the lobby for what felt like hours, waiting on the doctor to call us back. I could feel Lee tensing next to me, and he eventually had to get up and get some fresh air.

The doctor called us back while he was still gone.

I poked my head outside and saw Lee seated on the curb, his shoulders hunched over.

"Lee?"

He glanced toward me.

"They're calling for us."