Parker & the Blue-Eyed Hippo

(Jamie:  14-months old)

"This is everything Jamie Lee needs," Emily said, gesturing toward the counter.

There was a diaper bag, a lunchbox, and a sippy cup.

"Does she cry?" I asked, glancing back toward Emily. "Because I don't think I can do it if she cries."

Emily shook her head. "She's very easy-going, babe. Loves Kristin, one of the workers. And she goes without a problem."

I wasn't sure whether I was happy with that.

"Sometimes you even have to remind her to kiss you goodbye," Emily said, with a slight laugh. "Jamie's got a mind of her own, that's for sure."

I leaned across the counter, giving Emily a swift kiss. "She takes after her mother."

She rolled her eyes, a smile playing on her lips. "Call me if there are any problems?"

"Are there going to be?"

Emily let out a long sigh. "Just take our child to daycare, okay? And if you're not too busy, I'd love a Fuji Apple Salad for lunch."

I shook my head as she kissed my cheek. "I love you."

"Love you too, babe."

She kissed Jamie Lee goodbye, who was too engrossed with Blue's Clues to notice her mom leaving.

I sat down on the floor next to Jamie Lee, handing her the sippy cup filled with milk. She drank it as we finished the episode together.

"Where momma?" she asked, standing up. "Momma!"

I shook my head. "It's daddy today."

Her eyebrows furrowed together. "No."

"What did you say?"

This time her bottom lip jutted out. "No!"

I threw her up in the air, catching her before throwing her over my shoulder.

"Dada!"

I carried her up the stairs like that, Jamie giggling the entire time.

"Okay, James, what are we wearing today?"

A shirt and shorts were too much of an effort. Emily would be pissed if I sent her to daycare in mismatched clothes, and I didn't have the patience to try and find an outfit.

So a dress it is.

I changed her diaper, tickling her the entire time.

"Shoes?" she asked, as I slipped on her dress.

"In a minute, Jesus. Give your dad a break."

I stood her up on the changing table, and she jumped off into my arms.

Emily hated that.

"I love you, Jamie Lee," I said, kissing her cheek. I put her down on the ground, closing her bedroom door before I began rummaging through her room for shoes.

Jamie Lee had always proven to be indecent. She had a free-spirit and a mind of her own, and could keep herself occupied for hours.

As parents, we really didn't have many complaints.

Jamie sat down on the floor, babbling as she played with her toy car set.

I found her shoes on the bottom shelf of her closet.

Why did our child have so many shoe selections?

I glanced back at her Sunflower dress, before trying to match a pair of shoes.