Naomi & the Wet Sheets

(Jamie: 3-years old)

A sharp pain shot through my abdomen, and I immediately woke up, pressing my hand against it as a reflex.

"Come on baby boy," I quietly breathed. "I'm trying to get some sleep here."

And that's when I noticed that I wasn't dry.

My hand slowly moved from my abdomen down to my sheets, which were soaked.

Holy shit.

I grabbed my pillow and whacked Lee with it, hard.

He let out a disgruntled groan, slowly rolling over to face me. "No way in hell can it be that time already. I swear to God I just went to bed."

"Babe," I breathed, wincing as another contraction came along. "Babe I think my water broke."

"What water?"

Is he joking?

"The baby is coming Lee!"

Lee stared at me for a good couple of seconds before leaping out of the bed, his eyes wide. "Wait, what? How do you know?"

"I'm lying in a pool of water dear."

"Where you dreaming about toilets?" he asked me. "Because sometimes you-"

"Lee."

"It's too early Naomi, this baby is not coming," he said, his hands sliding to his knees.

"It's coming. And it's going to happen either here or at the hospital depending on how quickly you start moving."

He sucked in a deep breath. "Okay, okay. What do you need? What do we need to do?"

"The hospital bag is packed. Bottom, right corner of the closet. My sparkly Victoria's Secret duffel that you hate."

"Because he damn zipper never works," he muttered, leaping across the bed to grab it. "Alright, let's get out of here then."

"Okay dear, good idea. However I'm soaked. New undergarments please? And some clothes would be nice too."

I slowly swung one leg at a time over the bed as Lee tossed me a pair of underwear.

"Thank you."

"Okay, clothes you said?"

I nodded as he began rifling through my closet.

I was suddenly hit in the face with a black tube top and a pair of sweats.

I held up the tube top, raising my eyebrows at him. "This would be nice dear if I wasn't pregnant. Maternity clothes Lee."

"Fuck!"

He was slowly starting to lose his battle to his anxiety, and I still needed him to drive me to the hospital.

I knew that when the time did come it would be stressful for the both of us, but I thought we'd still have more time to prepare for this. But Baby Boy here decided that he was ready now, almost two months ahead of schedule.