Parker & the Misconceptions of a Teenage Girl

(Jamie: 16 years old)

"Are you asleep?"

I cracked an eye open to see Jamie Lee standing over me.

"If I was I'm certainly not anymore."

"Great, so can we talk?"

I ran my hand across my face, letting out a groan as I rolled over. "Give me five minutes."

"Want some tea?"

No I don't want some tea. I want some fucking coffee.

I hadn't had any caffeine in a week and it was slowly killing me. My head was throbbing, all I wanted to do was sleep, and every single muscle in my body ached.

Not to mention that Emily constantly spoke to me in her soft voice for fear that my anger might spike at any given moment. Which given my irritability this week I couldn't blame her, but it still pissed me the fuck off.

But my migraines had been increasingly worsening and so my neurologist had banned caffeine consumption for the next two weeks to see if that would have an effect. But first I had to get through the withdrawal symptoms, seeing as though I'm am addict through-and-through.

"No," I said, as Jamie Lee crawled up onto Emily's side of the bed. "Thanks though."

"Are you feeling any better?"

Not a bit.

I pushed myself up vertical, running my fingers through my hair. "So I'm guessing whatever it is you want to talk about is pretty important, yeah?"

"A little bit I guess."

"How much is it going to cost me?"

"How much is a new car?"

"We're not having this discussion right now, Jamie," I said, my voice flat.

Ever since Jamie wrecked her car she's been begging me for a new one. And somewhere deep inside, the rational part of me probably knew that my daughter was responsible enough to handle it.

But there was no fucking way I was going through that again. To date, that ranked in one of the Top Five worst experiences of my life. I was lucky Emmett had been here or I'm not sure I would've made it to Jamie in one piece.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, that's not what I wanted to talk about," Jamie said, her eyes widening and that I really, really want something smile spreading across her face.

I leaned back against my headboard, closing my throbbing eyes with a sigh. "So what do I owe the pleasure then?"

"Tonight some of my friends are going out."

"Where to?"

"Claire Stevens's house."

"Rich Stevens's kid?" I asked, popping an eye open to glance at her.

She hastily nodded in agreement.

I closed my eyes again. "Will her parents be there?"

"Her mom will be."

"Swear to me?"

"On my life."

"What will you guys be doing there?"

"Not much," Jamie said. "Going for a swim, maybe having a bonfire."

"Okay," I said. "What did you make on your Biology test?"

"89."

"You can have a curfew extension then. Midnight good?"

"Uh yeah, sure. Thanks, daddy."