Chapter 4 - An Angel on the Way

As the first sunrays were peeking through the drapes, trying to invade the bedroom, Carson was laying in bed, the thin white sheet pulled up waist high. His eyes were open and his mind, for not having slept that much, was still fully functional.

As he had done hundreds of times already overnight, Carson was going over the past few years of his life with Christen, wondering if he had missed distress signals along the way. Yes, he admitted to himself, he did spend a lot of time at work, but he knew the alternative would have not allowed the necessary income to guarantee the standard of living his wife had grown up accustomed to.

He tried to leave no stone unturned, so he considered all the possibilities. In all fairness, he believed his sexual aptitude was at the very least above average, and surely they had been open enough about that part of their life for him to know she would have complained if she had become unsatisfied.

He even considered the possibility of another man -or woman- in her life, but again the signs were not there, the little lies never amounting to anything of that nature.

As the sun rays were now warming up his chest, Carson closed his eyes, his hands behind his head. He was slowly coming to the conclusion that Christen had just grown tired of the family life. Maybe she needed a break from being a mother just as much as from being a wife. In that case, there was little Carson could have said or done different over the years to change that.

"Child in the room, cover up!"

Carson recognized his daughter's voice and opened his eyes, turning his head towards where she stood, holding a tray full of breakfast goodies.

"Girl, don't get me used to this lifestyle!" He joked as he sat up in his bed. "And be careful sneaking up on me like that." He added in a playful voice.

She placed the tray on his thighs and went to pull the drapes wide open, making her dad groan from the sudden brightness.

"Room service will be here soon, Mister, so get going." She said with a commanding voice. Clearly Sabrina had transformed overnight into this masterful resort manager. She left the room without another word, playing the part wonderfully.

Carson looked down at the tray and was instantly impressed. Scrambled eggs, coffee, toasted bread, crispy bacon and an apple were all begging for his attention. Just as the servant had just suggested, he got going and enjoyed his breakfast. Once finished, he placed the tray on the nightstand, knocking down a picture frame as he did.

He stood up and took his coffee with him, opened the window to let the fresh summer breeze in so it could dance with the particles of light in the bedroom. Carson was glad today was a Sunday. Despite what his daughter had playfully suggested, he felt no rush to dress up or get to work, quite the opposite.

Sabrina and he had stayed up late the night before, keeping each other company as a way to kick aside the elephant in the room. They shared memories and found themselves laughing more often than crying. They ended up discussing that Foreign Student Exchange program again, and Carson eventually agreed with his daughter that hosting a student might indeed be a good thing for the both of them.

They finished the night watching a movie and eating popcorn, Sabrina eventually falling asleep against her dad. He didn't move for a long time, not wanting her to wake up from a much needed rest. He even ended up carrying her to bed, as he had done many times over the years, so he assumed the morning breakfast was a way for her to pay it forward.

He heard a knock on the door, followed by a loud "Check out time!".

"Alright, alright!" He yelled back, smiling. "No tip for room service!"