Chapter 27 - A Photographer's Daughter

"What!?" Maddy yelled in disbelief, she looked back at Angeline's phone and read Roxbury's name over again. She then stared somewhere between the phone and Angeline, whose field of vision focused towards the direction Roxbury had walked off to.

Angeline always knew the day would come when she would want to learn about the man who created her, but never in her wildest dreams did she expect to meet him at her friend's photo shoot and above all him being the famous Roxbury Porter. As if a switched kicked in, Angeline pictured all the childhood memories without her dad being part of her life during recitals, school plays, sports games. She hated her unknown father for that, seeing all her friends with their fathers and her without one, especially during the "father-daughter dance" in high school.... Anger built inside her so she quickly stood up from the comfy chair at the coffee shop.

She looked at both her friends who were waiting for her to respond, or at least blink for that matter.

"I'm just as shocked as you both, but now is not the time to talk about this. He obviously doesn't know who I am and I'd like to keep it that way for now."

Angeline managed to somewhat regain control of the situation. She only hoped Maddy would not say a word about it. As if they had communicated via looks only, Madelyn knew not to press the subject.

Angeline felt suddenly very tired and wasn't up for a day of sightseeing so she decided to head back to the hotel.

"Listen girls, I'm not up for going shopping right now, I'm going to head back and get some rest."

Both girls looked at Angeline with a disappointment written all over their faces but they understood how their friend felt at this particular moment. Yet, Angeline felt a guilt in her stomach for wanting to ditch on them, but the overwhelming feeling of seeing her father and shaking his hand for the first time was way too much for her to handle; she wanted to talk to her mother, hear her voice.

"It's fine Angie, we all can head back to the hotel..."

"No!" Angeline stopped her mid-sentence. "I need time to myself, I mean if I'm going to see him tomorrow then, I need to prepare myself for that."

Maddy nodded and walked over and pulled her friend into her embrace.

"Okay Ang, I see this is big for you and I'm sorry you had to find out this way." Maddy whispered into her ear and received a giggle in return.

Angeline laughed at the statement, she looked over at Sabrina who stood quiet, Sabrina had no idea what was going on, only that Angeline had just met her father whom she'd never spoke of. Angeline hugged Sabrina too, giving her that comfort of home and safety which suddenly reminded her of Carson; Oh how she missed him now!

"I'm here for you, Love." Giving her a kiss on the cheek, Sabrina took hold of Maddy's hand.

"Let's head out darling?"

As the girls walked off, Angeline took to the curb to haul a cab. The hotel was only a few hundred yards away so she clearly wasn't thinking right. It didn't matter thought, since maybe she wasn't doing the right hand signal because the yellow cabs just kept driving right by her. She huffed when the third cab passed by.

"It's all in the posture, see?"

Angeline stiffened as Roxbury stood next to her and just like that made a yellow cab stop before him. She tried to get a word out, but the air caught up in her throat. She stood staring at the cab until the driver yelled.

"You two getting in or what!?"

"Where you headed?" Roxbury asked in a soft tone.

Angeline hopped into the cab and Roxbury followed. He wasn't sure why he did, but he felt the need to make sure she got to where she was going safe. Angeline's mind went blank she had no idea where she was going.