Chapter 6 - Greetings From Spain

Sabrina and her dad spent the whole afternoon moving furniture around in what would be Angeline's home away from home for the next ten months.Though painting had never been one of his favorite activities, It took them less time than Carson had anticipated to turn the antique guest room into a dynamic teenager den.

"We are good!" Sabrina exclaimed as she stood in the middle of the room, contemplating their work. "What do you think, Dad?"

Carson, covered in paint, was quick to agree and avoid any additional work. "Perfect. She'll love it."

He gathered the paintbrushes and rags while Sabrina was peeling off the protective tapes off the walls and ceilings.

"We'll move the furnitures back in tomorrow once it's dry." Carson ordered as he left the room to bring all the tools back to the garage. As he opened the door, it struck him for the first time that Christen had driven herself to the airport, and that she had had to leave her car there, hopefully at the long distance parking lot, the cynical in him added.

He also decided to park his Audi inside for the night since there was now ample room for it. As he sat at the wheels, he found his cell phone still plugged into its charger, laying next to where he kept little change for the tollway.

"No wonder the day has been so quiet." He thought to himself. Carson started the car and parked it in the garage and walked back upstairs afterwards, this time his phone in hand. He glanced at the screen and saw a few missed calls that showed no numbers, and a message. He accessed the voicemail and brought the phone to his ear.

Dead air. As if someone had waited for the greetings to end to leave a message but then thought better of it. It took a few seconds for the caller to eventually hang up, and Carson made up the sounds of an actual phone set being placed back into its cradle, the kind you find in an office environment or phone booth. Not a cellular phone, which makes no sound at all when ones ends a conversation by pressing the touchscreen.

Carson assumed the call came from Christen, possibly from an airport in the US once her plane had landed, but with no call back number, he just deleted the voice message and left his phone on the kitchen counter.

He washed his hands, got the oven going after taking a pizza out of the freezer and went back to Angeline's room to find his daughter cleaning up the bedroom, holding a trash bag in one hand.

"Ready to grab something to eat, Miss Dali?" He asked her.

"Yep! I'm starving" She responded, wiping her forehead.

The next morning. Carson had no problem acknowledging the fact that being the boss had its perks. And though he had decided to mostly work from home for the next few days, the 8:00 Monday morning meetings were mandatory for one simple reason; he had instaured them and wanted every employee to abide by the decisions and directions discussed during these weekly get-togethers.

His back and right shoulder were a little sore from all the painting of the day before, and the house still smelled of fresh paint, but overall Carson woke up in a fairly jovial mood. A quick cold shower took care of awakening for good all his senses.

Carson was usually an early-riser and it was still dawn when he stepped on the cold ceramic tiles in the kitchen to prepare his morning java. As the precious liquid was slowly dripping into his favorite mug, he grabbed a marker from the drawer next to the refrigerator and wrote on the dry-erase board.

"No morning coffee! You're fired!"

Not wanting to sound too harsh, he drew a smily face below the comments. He knew Sabrina enjoyed the little attention he had always shown to her and Christen. That was his way of making his presence felt even when he wasn't around.