Chapter 15 - In the Heat of the Night.

3:45pm. Angeline slammed her history book closed as soon as the bell announced the end of classes for today. She knew coming to study abroad would be challenging since not all classes would be taught in English, but she hadn't anticipated the amount of work to be quite that much. After a few weeks at it, Angeline could already attest that the American way of learning was much more laid-back than the European approach.

Friday hadn't come fast enough, but now that it was finally the end of the week, Angeline was ready to go home and throw her backpack in the farthest corner of her room and forget about it till Monday morning.

She made her way through the crowded hallways as students were loud and exchanging plans for the week end. She pushed the heavy front door and got out, welcomed by the warmth of the Catalan afternoon. She took a few more steps and her eyes caught a small gathering to her left where Franco was passing out flyers. Intrigued, she approached and Franco gave her his best smile as soon as he saw her.

"Hey, America! Ven por aqui!" He called her, waving at her with a flyer in his hand.

Angeline walked towards him cautiously, not particularly keen about being called out in front of the whole school. As she got closer, Franco moved away from the rest of the people and handed her one of the bright yellow flyers.

"We are having a party tonight at Pacha La Pineda." He told her. "The whole school is invited. It's a tradition!" He added with excitement. Angeline looked at the yellow paper and started reading it. Everybody was indeed invited for a school party at midnight at the club. She looked up to ask Franco a few more questions but he was already gone, passing out flyers and trying to not miss any student.

Angeline met up with Sabrina and managed to find their car through the crowded and agitated parking lot. Both girl were tired from a week of studying but now also excited for the start of the week end. The ride home was somewhat quiet but Angeline was curious about the party so she asked her friend.

"Are you going to the party tonight?"

Sabrina smiled as if she knew something her friend didn't.

"Claro que si! I sure am!" And she looked over at Angeline. "Who gave you the flyer?" She asked, seeing the yellow paper sticking out of Angeline's front pocket.

"Franco." She simply replied.

"Aye Franco!." Sabrina exclaimed. "That guy is a handful. This is his baby, he organizes that party every year."

"Why is the party so late?" Angeline asked.

"Chica, this is how Spanish people party." Sabrina said before explaining further. "In Spain, we eat dinner fairly late so we usually meet up in bars around 10pm. By the time we're done with a few rounds of drinks, it's time to go to the clubs, so midnight is really not all that late when you think about it."

Angeline was exhausted from the week but still wanted to be at the club for that school party. She understood it wasn't fair to always depend on Sabrina to drive her home from any place they went to together, so she decided she'd take a taxi home if her friend decided to stay late.

Sabrina noticed that Angeline was thoughtful so she asked.

"Anything bothering you, Angeline?"

Angeline turned to face her friend and offered her a smile.

"It's just... I depend on you a lot, and I understand you have your life too so you have to be honest with me and let me know when you can't, or don't want to, wait for me to go home."

Sabrina took the time to understand that her friend was being as straight-foward as possible so she answered honestly.

"I appreciate that, Angeline. You really are not a bother at all, believe me. I really enjoy having you around. But I get your message, and if I need to leave early or stay late, I will tell you."