Chapter 35 - Total Shocker

"So, sweetie what would you like for lunch?"

Angeline looked up at her father as he searched the fridge and the cupboards nervously. She smiled. How could this man live with two beautiful women and get flustered by her? She thought. It had been almost a week staying with him, and every day she learned a little more about him. She was bummed that they had managed to spend little time together with the amount of work he had committed to, but he was free today, and she couldn't wait to just spend the day with him

"Hey Dad? How about we go out for lunch? I'd love to see a bit more of the city."

Roxbury turned to face her. She had a smile playing on her lips. She probably had noticed his dilemma in the kitchen and was offering him a way out. He wasn't one to really cook; he was always on the run. Most of his meals came from takeout or food trucks outside his place. Layla and Natasha were both gone for the day. He was thankful for all they had done to make Angeline's stay comfortable

"What are you in the mood for? Italian, European, Mexican?..."

Angeline cringed; any reminder of her loved ones overseas made an ache in her chest. She definitely did not want anything European at the moment.

"Mexican sounds great!"She said as cheerfully as she could.

Roxbury smiled, but didn't miss her facial reaction upon mentioning Europe. She still hadn't opened up to him about what had happened on the old continent and it was killing him inside.

"Good, I know this great Mexican spot in Soho called Dos Caminos. You'll love it! They have the best guacamole."

"Yum! Let me grab my bag first."

Angeline quickly got her purse off her bed and as she did, she felt her phone buzz. She pulled it out from the side pocket of her bag and saw a few missed calls from the Cortez home and a few more from her mother. There were also seven voicemails left by her mother, and one from either Carson or Sabrina. She hit the voicemail shortcut and brought the phone to her ear.

Message 1

"Angeline, call me."

Message 2

"Angeline, where the hell are you!? I got a call from Mr. Cortez asking if you landed safely! call me back"

The messages from her mother only got worse from there and by the last one she was threatening to call the police and report her missing. She finally got to the message she wasn't sure she was ready to hear. She decided maybe it was best not to so she dialed her mother instead. After the first ring, she answered.

"Where the hell are you Angeline? Are you okay? Oh my goodness, I have been a worried wreck!" She felt guilty for not letting her mother know about her whereabouts.

"Mom, I'm fine, and I'm in New York."

"New York!?"

"Yes."

Sophia pinched the bridge of her nose. She knew who Angeline was with. She had never thought this was how her daughter would eventually find her father, and though she was fully aware she should have told Roxbury about their child, his daughter, she had never found the strength to do so once Angeline was actually born. Now, after all these years, he had once again managed to turn her world upside down, just like he had done in college.

"Oh baby, why didn't you call? How long have you been in the States?" Angeline heard a knock at the door before she was able to answer her mother.

"Angel, you ready?" She turned and nodded waving her cell in her hand.

"It's my mom; I'll be there in a minute." She kinda whispered in her dad's direction.

"Mom, I have to go. I only called to stop you from putting me on the missing persons list at Walmart. I'll call you when I get a chance. I'm trying to spend time with my father, thanks to you that's something I missed out on."

Angeline didn't mean to be so harsh to her, but she couldn't help it. She was still very upset about the whole ordeal.

"Okay, I understand sweetie. When you're ready I'll be here."

"Bye Mom, I love you." Angeline ended the call before she could hear her mother sob. She walked out her room feeling like a total bitch.

"You shouldn't talk to your mother like that. She's just worried, and I'm surprised you didn't tell her you were coming." Angeline was surprised to find her father outside her door.

"You don't understand. I'm not happy with her at the moment. Plus, she put this on herself, I don't want to talk about her right now. I'm here because I want to get to know you."