Chapter 30 - The House of the Rising Sun

The next morning, Carson was laying in bed long after the sun had risen from the East. His hands behind his head, staring at the white ceiling, Carson was trying to fight the sensation that the girls' trip to Europe had done some irreparable damages. The reunion with Angeline had been good, but almost too physical after what had felt like months apart. Maybe he had imagined seeing her again so many times in his mind that the reality of the moment had felt too... normal.

Hearing some laughs coming from outside, Carson finally forced himself up and approached the window. The girls were outside, playfully posing for each other and taking pictures by the pool or the tall grass of the hill hiding the swimming pool from the distant neighbors.

Watching them like this, unaware of his presence, took Carson back to what probably started it all a few months ago, when Angeline was laying there for the sun to lick her skin. The guilty sensation had been quick to spread, but the lust for that young foreign girl had fast settled in over the thin layer of improperness. He knew that day, as an erection had confirmed it, that he would eventually want her.

And she had wanted him back.

So much so that the last few months had felt like a mere few weeks. Yes, they were very different and at different stages of their lives, but the attraction had been instantaneous, and intense.

Even Sabrina seemed different. His little girl was long gone, and the sexual side of his relationship with Angeline had him wondering about his own daughter. After all, the two girls were the same age, going to the same school and sharing so much of their daily life. Carson had often wondered how he'd feel the day Sabrina would bring a boy home and introduce him as her fiancé. What if the boy was a man? A man his age. As difficult as it would be, wouldn't he have to accept him the same way he would want Angeline's parents to accept him? Or was he too aware that their relationship was doomed from the very beginning?

The sadness was settling in again. Carson could not ignore the realization that life with Angeline was a bad idea. He shook his head and rephrased it in his mind. Married life with Angeline would be unfair to her. How could he just push aside the notion that he'd be approaching his sixties when Angeline would want to become a mother?

But he wasn't in his sixties. He was fit, he thought as he contracted his abs, and fairly attractive. Maybe even more so than when he was in his twenties. Christen had left him. And Sabrina. She had ignored the long term commitments they had made to each other. So why was he already projecting himself 20 years into the future?

Carson looked towards the silly girls once more and turned around. Quickly put on some khaki shorts, washed his face in the sink before putting on an old holed shirt and headed out of his room. She stopped by his office and found his old camera in one of the many drawers he opened. He quickly walked out to the terrace and ran down the step of marble stairs.

As Angeline and Sabrina saw him approaching, they nodded towards him.

"Hey old man!" Angeline said, breaking down his good resolutions regarding him being only 41. "This is a private property."

Sabrina giggled as she aimed her camera towards him and started taking pictures.

"You're damn right it is!" Carson said, playing the part. "And the owner just asked me to come find out what all this noise is about." He said, forcing a mean look on his face.

Sabrina kept taking pics, smiling behind the camera.

Angeline placed her arm inside Sabrina's and pulled her close.

"Well... my friend and I have very rich parents." She started with a lolita's voice. "And my Daddy told me I could buy any house I wanted." She continued, now placing her arm around Sabrina's waist. "And I like this house." She ended, pointing behind Carson's shoulder.