Chapter 16 - Sea, Sex and Sun

Sabrina was the first one to wake up the next morning. She had drifted in and out of sleep all night, checking on Angeline often as a night guard would on his most precious possession. For the most part, Angeline had slept soundly and the drugs didn't seem to have affected her much more than the near catastrophe at the club.

During her frequent awaken moments throughout the night, Sabrina had been imagining what would have happened in Pacha La Pinada had she not come to check on her friend. She was the local one and she should have known better and warned her friend about not only the drugs but the men's behaviors in nightclubs in Spain. She also couldn't help a strong feeling of guilt for leaving Angeline by herself in the first place.

Sabrina got off the bed with as little movements as possible, wanting to let her American guest rest a little bit longer before questioning her and see how much she recalled, and if she wanted to do anything about it at all. She proceeded to the kitchen, desperately needing a strong coffee to get herself going for the day. She was surprised, and happy, to see her dad was already awake and preparing breakfast. Maybe she needed an older adult's perspective on the situation, even if that meant her getting in trouble somehow.

"Hey Daddy!" She said almost too emotionally as she hugged him tight.

Carson was surprised to see his baby girl up so early on a Saturday morning, especially after a night out, but welcomed and returned the loving hug.

"What are you doing up so early, Baby?" He asked her.

Sabrina had such a close relationship with her dad that she didn't think twice before deciding to explain what had happened the night before. She described what the party was all about and told him exactly what she saw when she returned to check on her friend on the dance-floor after having been away for only a few minutes.

Carson couldn't hide his concern for Angeline and anger towards these young punks circling in on girls like vultures. But as painful as it was, he also had to admit to himself that maybe they didn't know as much about their guest as they initially thought.

"Where is she?" He asked his daughter. He wanted to confirm she was ok now, but also maybe make sure she wouldn't walk in on them discussing her actions.

"Asleep in her room." Sabrina replied.

They were now sitting opposite each other at the kitchen table, a cup of coffee in front of them. Carson looked at his daughter for a few seconds, and she could tell he was thinking fast, deciding on an approach to the problem at hands.

"Do you think maybe she flirted with those guys?" Carson hated himself for even asking the question, but he had to know the facts.

"Of course not!" Sabrina responded almost too angrily.

Seeing that his daughter's response was more emotional than practical, he let a few seconds pass before asking in a different way.

"Sabrina. I like Angeline just as much as you do." He started. 'Maybe even more than you', he thought to himself. "But maybe we missed a few things about her?" He offered honestly.

"Like what?!" Sabrina responded defiantly, as if defending not only her friend but the whole female specie.

Carson understood he was walking on thin ice, but the issue had to be discussed now. He'd try to leave the sexual part of the conversation to the side for now, and focus on the drugs part of it.

"What if she is... " He paused to choose his next words carefully. "What if she is addicted to some drugs?" He finally said.

Sabrina leaned back in her seat, thinking that maybe the generation gap was too wide for her dad to truly get a grip on what had happened. It was fairly simple to her so she laid it out for him with no animosity.