Chapter 41 - Time Travel

The drift between Angeline and Madelyn had started the same way it often had years ago when they were both in the same class in middle school. One girl had said something inconsiderate and the other one took it the wrong way. Only at the time,both friends would usually forget about it the next day.

This time, things were moving too fast and growing out of proportions and Angeline was running out of options to apologize to Maddy. After all, she truly hadn't said anything that warranted the treatment she was receiving from her friend, and Angeline suspected the causes were deeper than the bad choice of words regarding her relationship status.

No more than 2 weeks ago they were screaming like lunatics after reuniting in the entry hall of her dad's loft. Since then, they had packed, flown over the Atlantic Ocean and moved in the fanciest mansion either one had ever stepped in only to grow further apart. This was supposed to be their time together as one!

Angeline was more than willing to take the blame for firing the initial shot when she decided, against her friend's advice, to go see Carson, but she had also done everything she could to bury the hatchet. Maddy just didn't seem overly eager to accept her apologies.

She had met the hottie she had talked about for days, and it was as if Angeline didn't matter anymore. Was she just using that Christopher guy as a way to push her point across regarding her and Carson? Or was Maddy truly falling for the Spaniard dude? Either way, she was spending way too much time out partying and doing God knows what rather than being serious and making the most out of the modeling opportunity the great Roxbury Porter had offered her.

Angeline took one more bite of her homemade sandwich before putting it down on her tray. She wasn't even hungry. Hadn't been hungry for days it seemed. The heavenly trip to Europe was starting to not feel as heavenly anymore. She was wondering whether her true love was the right thing for her, and now her best friend was slowly disappearing from her life.

She finished her drink and was ready to leave the terrace and go home when a shadow blocked the sun in front of her. Angeline looked up to see Sabrina standing, nervous. The two girls looked at each other for a few seconds.

"Hi Sabrina... how are you?" Angeline said, not an ounce of anger in her voice.

Sabrina smiled.

"Were you leaving? Can I talk to you?" She asked.

Angeline knew this was one more hurdle she had to pass before things could go back to normal, if they ever did.

"Sure! Go ahead." She said as nicely as she could.

Sabrina sat down opposite Angeline and seemed to be looking for words to express what was on her mind. Angeline realized the two had been as close as two girls could be, feeling like the sisters neither one had had at times. She even recalled how close they had been to being much, much more that one afternoon in Sabrina's bathroom.

"I have to tell you something..." Sabrina finally found the courage to say.

Angeline came back to the present time and panicked. Now what? She thought to herself.

"I'm listening." She said, readying herself for another wave of surprises.

"The night you left us in Paris...” Instinctively, Angeline looked around to make sure they were not within hearing distance of other customers at the cafe's terrace. She was so surprised about Sabrina deciding to live up to what she did and admit it to her that she barely heard the explanation itself, instead focusing on her friend's facial expressions and body language as she explained what she did that night.

When she was finished, and for the second time in as many days, Sabrina wondered if Angeline had understood what she had just said. Angeline's lack of disgust for what she had just admitted to doing to her dad started to make her wonder whether the line she had crossed was as taboo as she herself thought it was.