Chapter 23 - Cold Hearts

Fall was Carson's favorite season. After the intense heat of the summer came the cooler days as nature was preparing itself for the long winter. The trees were changing colors and would ultimately lose their leaves as the cool winds tickled their branches. It was the season of melancholy and long nights spent thinking alone by a fireplace.

For Carson, the season could not reflect any better what he was feeling like. He was now at the age where winter was around the corner, with no guarantees of a new spring in sight. He was also all alone in this gigantic house, all girls having left him to enjoy their break from school in America. The time had finally come to reflect on the past few months and where his life was going.

Christen had left him... but was apparently still in the region. Angeline had invaded his life like a whirlwind before vanishing within 24 hours, and Sabrina, his princess, the only woman on earth whose love feeling was unconditional, had disappeared as well in a heartbeat. Carson felt as old as he had ever felt. And alone.

The feeling was so abrupt that it caught him by surprise. The house echoed every one of his footsteps and he was just not used to such emptiness. Carson sat down in the cold leather couch facing the High Definition television and grabbed the remote from the night stand to his right. He wasn't even in the mood for tv, but what else was there to do?

He flipped the channels for a few minutes, not finding anything interesting enough to keep his mind off his girls, and eventually pressed the mute button, keeping the images on as a silent companion. Carson looked around in the high ceiling living room, remembering little things that had made these past few months so memorable.

He smiled as he recalled how he had once caught Sabrina dancing like a lunatic in the middle of the afternoon when she was fifteen. She hadn't realized he had made arrangements to work from home more often and thought she had the house to herself, making the most of it, dancing and jumping to some techno beat in nothing but her bra and panties. The look on her face when he asked her to turn the volume down!

And more recently, Angeline bumping hard into the closed sliding glass door on her way to the swimming pool, falling back hard on her butt in her sexy yellow bikini. Carson had worried that she might have gotten hurt at the time, but now couldn't help but laugh at the memory.

But the laughs were bittersweet. He was alone. He grabbed his cell phone and tried to mentally estimate what time it was in California. The need to hear the girls voices, and laughs, was itching, but he forced himself not to call, knowing too well he had to become accustomed to this new life, accepting his little birds were now in age to fly alone.

Carson stood up and took the short walk towards his only companion, Jack Daniels. The square bottle felt good in his hand, and for the first time ever, he didn't bother look for a glass as he opened the bottle and took a sip.

What is wrong with you?! He told himself, putting the bottle down immediately but staring at it for a few more minutes before walking away from it. He went to the kitchen and looked for a clean glass but had to settle for one laying in the sink since the girls had left a few days ago. He washed it and rinsed it and walked back fast to the bar and grabbed the same bottle again.

Much better! He said aloud, laughing at his own stupidity.

The house was too big for one lone soul to wander about, so he walked to the one room that brought him comfort; his study. He kept the light off and sat down in his leather chair, swinging it around to face the high glass wall and the well lit pool down below.

Carson poured himself a third glass, or was it the fourth one already? Nah... fifth? Quinto? He could barely count anymore. The neck of the bottle hit the edge of the glass with a loud ching!