Chapter 5 - Goodbyes

After shopping all morning with Maddy, Angeline was exhausted but she pretty much had a bikini for every day of the month. Other than that, she was ready for a long trip overseas. They were now sitting at a little cafe enjoying some much needed lunch. Angeline loved to dine at small family-owned restaurants and cafe's. She felt more welcome and at home plus the food was always amazing. She ordered a Tuscan Panini with a Pomegranate Ice Tea.

"I'm really going to miss you Ang, especially in moments like these, who's going to help point out these gold mine restaurants? You know I'm not good at that." Angeline smiled at her friend.

"I'll leave you a list of the places we go to eat Mads, you will survive, darling." She told her. Maddy would try everything and anything to get her friend to prolong her departure, but Angeline knew her friend better than she knew herself.

"So, what do you plan on doing for the next two weeks over there before your school semester starts?" Maddy asked.

Angeline had not thought of that just yet. She hoped to get to know her new family and maybe learn the ropes of Spain before she got lost. She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not sure Maddy, I guess I'll just wing it. I know that they said it was okay that I come early, but I'm not sure what they have going on. I assume both parents work and their kids are in school depending on their age. For all I know I could be bunking it with Sabrina who has an insane obsession with Justin Bieber." Angeline stated as Maddy laughed away. After they finished up lunch Angeline drove back home.

"Alright Ang, I'm headed home. My parents want to get together for dinner, they say I'm never at home. So to make them happy I'm saying in for family night." Maddy said looking into her bag for her car keys.

"Okay, call me later." Angeline said as she walked up the porch stairs. Hearing Maddy's horn beep she turned and waved goodbye.

"You look beautiful." Angeline jumped from the sound of the deep voice coming from her right. Turning, she was faced with her boyfriend. Angeline couldn't deny that he could take her breath away. He was the epitome of a California boy, tanned skin, blonde hair six two and abs for days. Seeing him made Angeline forget what she had witnessed the night before, but only for a moment.

"Why haven't you returned any of my calls?" She asked sliding both hands in the back pockets of her jeans. Derek looked a little taken back.

"That's what you say to your boyfriend you haven't seen in months? Really, Angel?" Angeline shook her head she couldn't believe that he had the balls to stand here like nothing.

"Yeah, pretty much Derek. I thought you weren't getting back until next week? When did you get in?" By now Angeline had lost her cool. She wasn't a confrontational type of person, but the hurt she was feeling gave her the courage to block through that shield he usually blinded her with.

"I got in this morning, I came straight over here. You weren't here and you didn't answer your phone so I came over and waited." Derek replied as he walked over to Angeline. Seeing his green eyes search hers made her weak. "What's this about Angel? I'm sorry I haven't called you back! Things have been hectic, but I promise you weren't far from my mind at any moment." Derek pulled his girl into his arms. He knew that Angeline was his breath of fresh air. Yeah, he's made bad decisions over the past few months, but he knew that this one in his arms was the one he'd settle down with.

"Derek, I saw you last night." Angeline mumbled against his chest as he held her tightly in his arms. She put her hands on his chest and pushed him back to see his face. What she saw was Derek surprised expression. He tried to form some words to speak. Maybe putting him on the spot he couldn't come up with a lie fast enough.

"You know what, Derek? Save the lie you're trying to come up with. You came home early and decided it was better to catch up with old friends and a new hot piece than to come see your girlfriend who has missed you like crazy? The one who has stood by you through everything." Angeline couldn't hold back as the tears slowly dripped down her cheeks. "I love you Derek, but my love isn't enough for you. After all the unanswered calls and emails. This relationship we have isn't working. The Derek and Angeline from high school aren't standing here today."