Chapter Three

21st July 1996.
A SNAG, A MEMORY,

Vartika's call, last night didn't let me sleep peacefully, i was worried.. Her sobs never left my ears, always sending chills down my spine. I got up early and got ready to leave for my home in Delhi, i was standing at college gate waiting for the bus to drop me at bus station.. I stood there, lost, thinking about my papa, vartika, 

"where to vardhan" a female voice brought me back to the world. I turned back, and no wonder! it's niharika again, after all who else knows me in the college.. My lips instantly curved on seeing her.

"to home??" she asked nearing me, i nodded

"you?" i asked.. must say... things changed drastically between us. she began to share every little aspect of her's with mine. but still some where deep down my heart i felt a bit inconvenience to be so close to her.. that might be because of the envious looks of the other guys at me when ever they spotted me with her.

"friend's place," she cut short, bringing me back to the world. we stood in silence till the bus came and even after boarding the bus and all the journey we never exchanged a word. But after alighting the bus in Delhi, she broke the awkward silence prevailed till then, between us,

"vardhaan, can you teach science," she asked..

"what kind of question is that!? I mean what do you mean? Of course yes! but why?" i said completely befuddled.

"kuch nehin.. Can you spare 2 hours for me!" she asked with very pleasing tone.. I melted faster than ice on seeing her cute face..

"umm!" i nodded, i don't know why. And then she took me to a place that i had never been before in my life. Moments after we were standing before the gate of orphanage.. The building and the gate were wrecked enough to collapse at any time. I was completely baffled at what we were going to do exactly!

"are you sure, about what we are doing" i asked

"yep! What's there to confuse" she riposted and began to walk in.. I gave her confused look and followed her

" but you said you are going to your friend's place" i expressed doubt.

"i have too many friend's here!" she chuckled just like a kid.. even then i had no idea of what we were going to do.. I just followed her... But after entering in and witnessing the situation in there, my eyes turned moist, i just couldn't express what i felt. 100's of kids, of all ages, almost... All were orphans. Some were abandoned by parents, some lost their parents, some are crippled, some are infants....innocent enough to make us forget the fake world... They were pathetic. As soon as niharika stepped in.. They all circled her in amusement... Couple of minutes passed and she was still with them... I was standing at a corner and was watching everything, i felt a sudden surge of emotions, and few tears dribbled down unnoticeably. Soon she accidentally glanced at me...and began to speak to them as if she got to remember something..