Chapter Twenty One

23rd June 2002.:

"Vartika..." i called out her name standing at the door of the kitchen, when she was making coffee for her in laws. 

"vardhaan? up so early.!.. Go! fresh up mai coffee le kar athi hu" she said not turning back.

"di.." i called her again..

"haan baba! Kya hua?" she turned back..and her jaw fell open instantly, she was gaping at me with teary eyed!

"vardhaan....tum...ye... sab...sab...theek hai na?" she stammered at my appearance, of course there was a point, i woke up early that day, fixed my hair, shove my beard and then i took bath and dressed up with utter dignity.!

"di! I am going back to FITE" i said, my face gleaming with happiness... She was blank. i knew she don't want me to go but she did that for my sake, for the sake of happiness.! How ever she accepted it with utmost bliss, i quickly bade good bye to vartika, my jiju and to in-laws! Once on the road, i headed towards the bus station as my next destination was iit Mumbai...!! 

24th June 2002

MUMBAI.:

it's noon by the time i reached the college, IIT MUMBAI. my home for past 2 years.!! I walked to my hostel, and rushed to my room, my room mate had already vacated and it welcomed me with all the mess... The sculptured scrap art roses lying on the floor scattered for the past 2 years, still hadn't lost their charm of course they were lifeless as i was...but still..! They might not be fragrant but special enough!! The very first sight of those brought the images of that night on terrace to mind, i tried hard to push them aside but my dairies, the papers on which i wrote how much i missed her, our pictures, the machine models lying on the floor were gawking at me! Poking hard on my wounded heart! Making me feel responsible for her death! Killing me from inside. Nothing wrong. I deserve it, i should have controlled my ire, that night on terrace, that night on road.. It's my fault...that she was no more today!

I sank to the floor hugging those roses and her pictures to my heart, Tears instantly flowed down my eyes! I cried, cried till my head hurt, i wailed curling on the floor, "come back niharika! Come back, please" i screamed but in vain my screams dissolved in the sheer silence later. I don't know how long i spent like that, crying and pleading god to turn the clock back to bring the night on terrace again,so that i could correct my self. I knew it's impossible. But still i hoped! 

The clock struck 5 pm when i heard a knock on my door. I checked the time and rushed to the door, and opened it in haste, only to see my warden standing in front of me! 

"vardhaan, you got a call from delhi" he said 

i knew niha might have called me to tell me how much she loved me and how hard she was dying to be with me.. 

"did she called me??" i widened my eyes. Warden was perplexed and busily passing me surprised stares