Chapter Seventeen

5th May 2002

It was 11 in the night by the time the bus reached Delhi, as soon as i alighted the bus, i rushed to niharika's house only to see it decorated with the flowers and all set for the marriage! My heart squeezed with every forward step i made! The doors were closed and i had no guts to loose her again..! I felt that it would be better talking to her directly instead of talking to her dad. I quickly climbed to the balcony of niharika's room with the help of a pipe and entered in to her room..

The room was too gloomy to identify a person,how ever, i carefully walked in meticulously scanning for her! and finally, i found her, lying on the floor, curled up clutching my photograph in her hand. She was crying, bitterly, for me!! It hurt me! Because, she was suffering for nothing she had done! It was me! I had hurt her, misunderstood her. But then seeing her like that even after years of our so called break up, i really had no need to be proved that she was innocent about that night's incident..After all, she IS my niharika, SHE IS! She would never do that! Bloody! I should have realized it before..!! i wasn't too late i thought, but i was..!! 

"Niharika" my voice trembled.

"vardhaan!!" she raised immediately on hearing my voice! Her hair was all messy, and her eyes were swollen, she turned so lean..! She stood up staring into my eyes and i stood with my gaze stuck to floor! I was feeling guilty, before i could speak, i heard her saying something. 

"vardhaan go away form me, i don't need you" she said. One word! That one word "i don't need you" had stabbed my heart! Tears rolled instantly down my cheeks, i could guess then! How my words had hurt her for past 2 years! 

"niha please" i stepped forward

"don't you dare call me niha. I am niharika oberoi and mind it mr.vardhaan suryavanshi" she pointed her finger at me, with quivering voice..

"Niharika" i said trying to hold her hand 

"no! Just don't" she jerked her hand back screaming "one more step and i'll kill my self vardhaan!"

I knew her heart was irrevocably broken.just because of me. I knew i was responsible for it. 

"niharika please, i know it's my fault. I misunderstood you! don't talk like that, punish me, hit me, kill me! I am ready. But please don't say that" i took an another step! 

"no! I don't need you vardhaan! Just go away! Far! As far as you can...go away! Go away and go away" she pushed me back and in spur of moment she took the bangles hanging to the bangle stand on the dressing table beside her! She knocked it against the table.. I had no idea of what she was doing but in no time, she slit her hand right from elbow to wrist with the sharp end Blood oozed out of her hand in time of blink.

"Niharikaa, pagal hai kya! What is this niharika! Please, if you want to hurt, hurt me please, but don't do this please niharika" i cried wrapping my handkerchief round her hand

"chod" she jerked her hand and pushed me away..."i am telling you vardhan ek aur second! If you are here! You can't even imagine what i will do to myself, please go away please!" she screamed in agony, I said nothing, i knew i was too late to correct my mistake too late to get another chance. I instantly stepped back just fearing that she might hurt herself again, i turned back wiping tears off my face..