Temptation Is A Bitch

December 1, 2015 5:47 P.M. 

Stef's eyes were focused on the road, just like they had been for the past four hours. The conversation had flowed between her and Lena for a while, until Lena dozed off again about a hour and a half ago. She knew Lena was tired, hell she would be too if it was her who had been shot. She remembered how tired she had been the one and only time she had been shot. It happened during that first case she had mentioned to Lena earlier. It had been a leg wound, her calf to be exact. Thankfully it had been a through and through as well. She had been tired as hell as she recuperated from her injury.  

She was surprised at how well Lena was handling the pain. She knew that Walt's friend had given her some pain meds, but Lena didn't want to take them that often. She had taken one before they went to sleep last night and one after they had eaten at the diner but she knew that she could have taken at least two more than she already had. She noticed that after everything that Lena had gone through during this, she wasn't a complainer, she just dealt with the situation. She accepted what was going on and just went with it. She didn't ask to many questions or go against anything Stef told her to do. Not many people would or could do that. Stef didn't even know if she could do that if the tables were turned.

The sun was beginning to set already and Stef knew that the temperature would drop even more when it did. Being the first day of December it was colder than it normally was in California, but then again they weren't in California anymore. She had passed Las Vegas two hours ago. She was headed north, to the only place she could think of where she could keep Lena safe for more than a overnight stay. Stef had another few hours of driving before she knew they would have to stop for the night. 

Lena stirred a little and Stef glanced over at the sleeping woman beside her. She kept glancing over at Lena as her body jumped in her sleep. Stef knew that she must be dreaming and from the look on her face, it wasn't a very good one. 

Stef laid her hand on Lena's thigh softly, hoping that her touch would bring her some comfort and not wake her. Lena seemed to calm a little as Stef unconsciously  caressed her thigh with her thumb. Stef had turned the radio on and left the volume down low to where it was just loud enough for her to hear it, after Lena had dozed off again. Ten minutes had gone by and Stef still had her hand on Lena's thigh. She could feel the heat from Lena's skin through the material of the jeans that covered her thigh. Stef was lost in thought about what it would feel like to run her hand up Lena's bare leg. Just as she was losing herself deeper into her fantasy the radio DJ's voice caught her attention.

"We have an update on the murder of San Diego District Attorney Goldberg last night." Stef moved her hand and turned the radio up a little more, causing Lena to wake. 

"Listen." Was all Stef said as she listened intently to what the DJ was saying. 

"The San Diego Police Department released a statement at five o'clock this evening, stating that the body of a paralegal with the DA's office was found in her car near the hospital early this morning. The car had multiple gunshots in it and it appears that she had been driving herself to the hospital after being shot. It also appears as if she was at the office when the DA was murdered and she tried to get away but was hit when her car was sprayed with bullets. No word yet on the identity of the woman. We will keep you updated as we get more information in. Stay tuned for the update on the cold front moving in from the north later tonight." Stef clicked the radio off and looked over at Lena, who sat there in shock.

"Lena? You know it's just a cover so that Ramius thinks he killed you last night." Stef asked her, concerned about the woman sitting beside her.

"I know. But my parents won't know that and there is no way I can contact them to tell them otherwise." Lena replied quietly, the look of defeat on her face.