Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Mmm," I mumbled, trying to turn over.

My legs felt heavy, and I couldn't move them. I turned my head and looked over at my legs, and my eyes grew wide. In the place of my legs, there was a tail.

My tail.

My black tail.

Every single scale had no shine or reflection. I ran my hands over my tail. It felt rough, nothing like it used to feel. It was completely dry too, but I didn't have my legs. What the hell was going on?

I slammed my head into my pillow, wanting to cry. Everything that could've gone wrong, went wrong. I didn't know how much of this I could take.

I tried to calm my breathing, which was getting out of hand again. I didn't want to cry, I wanted to feel different. But it seemed, this was my life now.

"Wow, you're so consumed in negativity, you didn't even notice what was right beside you." Asher said.

I looked over at him. He had his arms folded, leaning against the door frame.

I caught a glimpse of what he was talking about, when I looked at him. My eyes went down to the person lying right beside me.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

"I'll leave you alone then," Asher said, going down the stairs.

"Wait," I blurted. He turned. "How?"

"Later, promise." He went down.

I put my hand on his face. "Noah," I whispered, as the tears fell from my face and met with his skin.  I tried to move closer to him, pulling my tail. The weight of it made it almost impossible to get any closer to him.

His body lied still, but I could see the rise and fall of his chest, indicating that he was indeed alive. Which meant the spell worked.

"The spell worked," I whispered. My whole mood changed. There lied hope, something I gained again.

From the looks of it, he was sleeping, and I couldn't wait for him to wake up. I waited for his eyes to open. I wished I could wake him up, but it was best that he took all the rest he needed.

I laid my head down on his shoulder and gripped his shirt. My whole face was soaked in tears. I couldn't believe that he was right in front of me. I never thought I would see him again.

I placed my head close to his heart and could hear his heartbeat. Tightening my hold on him, I continued to cry. I never wanted to let go. I never wanted him to disappear like that ever again.

I kept my eyes closed and letting myself feel happy, until I fell asleep.

The wind was whistling, blowing hard, and making my hair and dress flow with it. The waves crashed along the shore, almost reaching my feet. Lightning descended, not too far from this place, and thunder roared.

A single tear ran down my cheek. I pressed my lips together, unable to bare the loss and pain. I could only stand there and let the storm rage. The bleak clouds were making their way towards me, like I was a magnet.

I clenched the item in my hand and wasn't sure if I should let go of it, causing my hands to shake.

I looked down at it, hearing someone walking close to me from behind. I didn't say a word, letting them get closer and closer. But they stopped, and I still didn't do a thing.

As time ticked by, I couldn't stand there while the other person was. I brought my hands to the side and continued to cry. Part of my hair was covering my face and I was glad, but if I turned, they would see what I didn't want them to.