Chapter Fourteen

Noah suggested that it was best to head back to my place.

I nodded in agreement as he drove me home. The whole car ride was silent. I spent the whole time thinking of how he could possibly know I was a mermaid. I didn't say anything about it, and he didn't either.

When I came home, I tried to think of ways I could get him to say he knew. But he still acted oblivious. I wanted to scream at him, but I held myself.

"I'm really going to the beach now, Noah." I told him as I turned to walk out the door.

He waved at me, and I rolled my eyes. I walked out the door.

I tried the whole 'let's go to the beach thing' earlier, and he got up, then I changed my mind and decided not to leave.

I walked out but didn't even step on the sand. I sat on the chair outside and frowned. I looked back through the window, and Noah was on the phone. I shook my head and went down by the water. I wanted to feel the water crash against my skin, but I would take a step back every time it came too close. I kicked the sand and turned back around.

I quickly put my hand to my heart. "You scared me!"

It took me a bit to calm down. My heart was pounding rapidly. I glared at him.

I wanted the water to take Asher away. When I thought the water was coming closer, I ran away from it. I ended up hitting Asher's chest, and I heard him chuckle. I pushed away from him but that brought me close to the water again. I moved to the other side of him.

"Scared of the water I see," he said as he looked over at the water then back at me. He raised his eyebrows then grinned. I rolled my eyes and took a step back, hoping he wouldn't notice that I was slowly trying to leave.

"Maybe, what's it to you?" I took another step back and folded my arms.

He took a step forward. I tried to will the water to attack him, but it didn't do much. It only went up to his ankles. He looked down then back at me. That made me jump back, worried that he knew what I was trying to do.

"Nothing," he whispered. "The water's nice," he said, afterward.

He smiled at me, but I wasn't buying it. He couldn't get me to say or do whatever he wanted.

"Look, I'm sorry for whatever I've done to make you hate me."

"Don't take it personally, I just hate everyone," I replied, and took another step back. It was weird to admit to someone that I didn't like people. I always said it to myself but never to anyone else. I couldn't believe he was the first person I said it to.

"Hmm, well, that's sad. You could be missing out on knowing a really cool person," he winked. I pressed my lips together and looked away, once again taking another step back. He nodded his head toward his right, silently asking me to go with him.

"I'll pass," I replied, moving my hair from my face. "I have to go."

He shrugged and walked past me. "By the way, Lara, I noticed." He whispered near my ear and before I could say anything, he was already on his way. I watched him get further and further away.

Asher was really weird and creepy. He seemed like he knew way more than he showed. Like how he knew my name. I got the chills at the thought. Was he a stalker? A magical stalker? I was pretty sure he reduced my power. The water should have hit up to his back. I shook my head as I opened the door to my house.

"-doesn't know-" it fell silent when I shut the door. I folded my arms at the sight of Noah and my dad talking again. They both turned to me.

"Lara," Noah said.

I shook my head, "I do know that you know!" I yelled this time. I wanted him to say it. I needed to know I was right, because if I said I was a mermaid, and he didn't know then that would be bad.

My dad took a couple steps back. "No! You're staying too!" I cracked.

"What do you mean?" Noah asked, playing dumb again. I should've gone on that walk with Asher than listen to Noah lie to me. They kept whispering around me and that meant they knew something. It had to be this weird mermaid thing. It made sense!

"Stop that! You know what I'm talking about!" I put my hand to my head and leaned against the wall. Why was I even wasting my time? I just wanted him to tell me the truth. "Dad, you knew too, didn't you? But that makes more sense than Noah, who just moved here."

I looked at Noah hoping he'd have the answer I was looking for, but he was silent. They were both silent, looking at me like I was crazy.

"Whatever," I mumbled.

I moved by the door and walked out for the second time today. I ran by the water. Why couldn't they just tell me the truth? How could my dad keep something like that from me? He probably knew the whole time.

I looked at the water. I wanted to go in so bad. It was my peaceful place. I shouldn't be afraid, I should just jump in. It was meant to be my home, that was all I thought before I was a mermaid.

Maybe this was a gift to me? Maybe I was naturally drawn to the ocean, because I was going to be a mermaid anyway. I pushed my hair back and took another step toward the water.

"Lara," I heard Noah's voice.

I turned around, taking a step back. The water met with my skin, and I looked down wide-eyed. Then I looked up at Noah and his eyes shifted back to that ocean reflection like mine.

"Grab my hand," he told me. But I didn't listen. I only nodded and took another step back, letting the water hit me again. I missed this and I didn't care if I turned into a mermaid in front of him. He knew. I nodded again. "Lara." He repeated my name. His beautiful, magical, ocean blue eyes were watching me. He was waiting, I could tell. But nothing was happening.

"How? I don't get it." I asked, hoping he would tell me, because obviously he was keeping a lot from me. He closed his eyes and when he opened them, they were back to their normal blue. My legs started to feel numb and as I felt myself turn into water in that split second, I whispered, "I'm a mermaid."