Chapter Sixty

I wanted to say I knew what I was doing and had everything under control, but I would be lying to myself. With the preparations for what was to come and the changes I had to make, it was stressing me out. There was no time to stop or analyze anything.

Packing was something I had done before, but this time I was alone. Moving away wasn't permanent and I had to remember that to make sure I didn't pack everything, but that was what I wanted to do.

"Maybe, I should take a break," I said to myself, wiping the sweat from my forehead. The weather outside was summer-like which didn't help at all. The fan blowing air in front of me was not cold like I had hoped.

The ocean water was the only way to cool off. A swim couldn't hurt, right?

I stepped out of my house and onto the sand. My bare feet sunk in with every step. Once I reached the shore, I stood and watched the waves move back and forth. The whooshing sound of the waves crashing was calming my soul. My eyes were closed as I took it all in.

I didn't understand why I was so hesitant to get in the water. It wasn't fear holding me back.

Maybe it was the fact that I still didn't feel accepted into a world I should be calling home. If only I could find a way to change their views on mermaids like me. Not that there were that many left anyway. One day, I will shift their views.

"Lara," I heard a familiar voice call my name.

Before I turned to look at him, I took a step back. Once I saw his face, I gasped. He wasn't allowed to visit me for one year, yet there he was, standing in front of me.

I didn't care how they let him see me, I was just glad he came.

"I hope you're doing well," I said, hugging him.

"Ah, ah, ah, keep it at a distance. We're being watched."

"Should've known," I huffed, letting go. "Do they really think us being in the same area could spark something that involves the originals?" That was what I started to call Amara and Luka. Saying their names pissed me off. I couldn't stand what they did to us.

"I guess, but I don't feel any different. They're being cautious. We both know how Trina and the others are like," he sighed.

"It's too bad we didn't really get to know each other. You being taken over by Luka the entire time and all. Hopefully, now you can be you and get the help you need." I couldn't imagine him being okay after seeing the girl he cared about die in front of him, then being revived by the spirit of his creator inhabiting his body. It was a lot to take in.

"Yeah, they think Luka's still in here somewhere," Asher pointed to his head. "According to them, you can't just come back to life, be possessed, and not have some of Luka's mind and spirit in you." His rolled his eyes then they began to shake. It was easy to tell that he believed them. That he may not be as free as he was hoping to be.

"It's okay, I'm sure they'll help you," I said, grabbing his hands and squeezing them. There was more to it than that. His eyes seemed distant and cold every time he spoke. I started to rub his hand with my thumb. "You'll be okay."

I never thought I would be the one comforting him. Any minute, I was sure I would have my own breakdown, but I held on. I had to.

"You will be, too," he said. "Talk to Noah, okay? I might not remember everything because of Luka, but I know enough that I believe you will both work it out. Even though he lost his memories." He paused for second, looking straight into my eyes. "Hope is all we have, Lara."

I was ready to reply with something negative, but we've all had enough darkness. So instead, I nodded.

I didn't plan on talking to Noah. Too much had happened between us in such a short time and wrapping my mind around it would drive me insane. He was alive and that was all I needed to keep going. My heart was content with that much. I thought so, at least.