Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Lara, are you listening?"

"Huh! Yeah. Yeah."

"Then what was I saying?" Ariel didn't look to happy with the way I had been acting all day.

"Sorry." I looked down at the table while placing my elbow there, and I ran my hand through my hair.

"You always look so lost in thought. Is everything okay? You know you can tell me anything." Ariel smiled, truly meaning it. And I knew that. But I couldn't tell her anything that was going on with my mermaid self. She had no clue that they even existed. I knew I could trust her, but this was something that didn't concern her in any way. It was best that she didn't know any of this.

"I'm fine. I just haven't had enough sleep lately." Which was true. I spent the nights thinking of ways I could get myself out of this mess, but there wasn't a solution. Not yet.

"Oh," was all Ariel said before she took a bite out of her sandwich.

I took a look around, but nothing really interesting ever happened. But I just liked to observe. It was what I use to do when I was alone. It always felt like I was watching a movie I was never really part of. And it was truly sad, but peaceful.

I heard someone say, "hey!" But I didn't turn to that direction. "Lara!" They were closer to me now, so I turned. I backed up a bit in my seat.

"Uh, hi," I replied, not in the mood. But she pushed her way into the seat next to mine.

I never liked seeing Selena. I didn't care how little or how much she changed, everything about her bothered me.

It was unfair that she could go around swimming like there was no care in the world. Whereas I had to worry about every little thing I did. I wouldn't even have to do anything and the problem would appear before me.

She knew I still wasn't okay with her acting like everything was great between us. But she wouldn't give up. Did she think I could just forget everything she had done? I wasn't one to forgive easily.

"Look, I'm sorry guys. I just really want to be your friends and I honestly mean no harm. And I'm also really, really sorry!" Selena looked like she truly meant it. But I wasn't going to buy it. I shook my head while facing Ariel. She didn't know what to say or do. Ariel only continued to eat and tried to hide behind her sandwich.

I rolled my eyes and got up. If at any moment I wasn't feeling well AKA the flame, my father said I could skip school and go home. The flame wasn't here, yet. But Selena angered me, so it would show if I continued to sit here and take this crap.

"Bye, Ariel. I'll see you later, okay?" Ariel nodded her goodbye to me as I walked away.

"Lara! Wait!" Selena shouted behind me. She grabbed my arm and I had to close my eyes just to keep myself at bay.

I pulled my arm away from her hold. "Selena, honestly, you've treated me so horribly over the years and I can't just forget about the past! I can't! I know we're both fish people now, but that doesn't change anything. Yes, I know you claim to be different, blah blah, but it still doesn't erase the fact that you hurt me. So, I can't forgive you and we can't be friends." I turned away again, heading for home. Her shocked reaction satisfied me, but only a little bit. I couldn't believe she actually thought we could be friends just because we were both mermaids. Well, we were both humans before, but I was still treated differently.

"Lara! I really am sorry! I know the past can't change but the future is different and I'll make it up to you! Please give me a-"

"Save it!" I waved at her and finally left the school and her behind.