Chapter Forty-Nine

"Are you sure you got this?" Noah glanced over at me.

"I should be asking you the same question. And that's not really my main concern. At any moment we can get caught again and Asher is slowing us down."

"I told you I'd carry him."

"How? You've been sliced twice. I don't even know how you're holding him up." I held on Asher's arm more tightly.

"You lost a lot of energy and couldn't hold yourself up. I don't know-"

"Okay, this isn't getting us anymore. It's slowing us down even more." I huffed, stopping.

Noah stopped, too. He waited to see what I would do, but I only stood there. I honestly couldn't continue to carry Asher. I wished he would wake up. What kind of chant did he use? I didn't get how it caused him to pass out.

My body felt like it was going to shut down on me. If we continued like this we'd be caught for sure and we'd lose all the energy we had left.

"Can't we hide out somewhere around here?" In a way, I was admitting that I couldn't handle the pain. Noah's situation was probably worse. Luckily, he wasn't bleeding anymore, but if he continued to put pressure on himself then the blood would start to flow out again.

"Is someone giving up?" He mocked.

"No! I think it's better if we regain some energy. We won't be able to hold off another Guardian like this." Asher was slowly slipping off from my shoulder. I didn't know how I was holding him up this whole time.

"We could always use Asher as a weapon," he made a ticking sound while moving his right hand like he was holding a sword.

"That's not funny," was what I said, but inside, I was trying to hold in my laughter. No, that's not funny.

Suddenly, I gasped, the last of my strength being drained from me. That made Asher completely slip off me and land face first in the sand. Noah winced in pain, since he couldn't hold up Asher all by himself.

"What's wrong?" Noah asked through the pain.

"She's...here."

"Who?" Noah asked, holding onto his side.

"No, time!" I turned to run away from the direction the magic was coming from. Leaving Asher here was the only thing I could do. Chances were they wouldn't take him.

But what if they did?

At least, I would be safe.

What?!

I froze. I shouldn't be thinking like that!

Something began to materlize in front of me. First an arm formed from water, then the rest of the body followed until I was able to identify who it was.

"Wow, he'd be easy to get rid of." She kicked Asher's still body.

"Stop!" I was tired of us being treated horribly because of our magic being different than theirs. If they had a better way to handle what we had then this wouldn't be a problem. We wouldn't be targeted.

I felt Noah grab my arm and pull me towards him. Starting from his hand and finishing at his face, it was obvious he was determined to protect me. He didn't act this way before. Where did the protection side of him come from?

Did he know something?

Did he remember?

With his other hand, he tried to create a sword. I panicked when I saw him try, knowing he had no control of his newfound powers. The sword was slowly forming, even though Noah was using all his energy to make it form.