Chapter Twenty

"Can I read about it now?"

"No, not yet. Just trust me, okay?" He grabbed my arms and brought it down, taking the book away from my face. The journal pressed againt my thighs. I tapped my foot against the wooden floor a couple times, then moved my hands away from him.

"Okay." I sighed, placing the journal behind my pillow.

Noah wasn't too pleased with my hiding spot. Honestly, who was going to find it? And even if someone did, they wouldn't be able to open it.

I hopped off my bed and faced Noah, who was leaning against the wall across from me. My foot kicked my backpack lightly. I stared at it for a moment and frowned. School felt like a distant dream. My homework was almost always incomplete.

My mermaid life was getting in the way of everything else.

I didn't realize how much this was actually affecting me. My whole life changed because I turned into some mythical creature only found in fantasies.

"Hey, are you okay?" Noah asked, grabbing my hands and squeezing them. I tried to fake a smile and show him that it wasn't getting to me.

I nodded, afraid if I spoke, my voice would crack. School wasn't even something I liked, but the change that occured and how it rearranged my life was what scared me.

Without another thought, I wrapped my arms around Noah and closed my eyes. It took him a second to react and hug me back. Something like this was uncommon and it even surprised Noah.

I listened to the sound of his beating heart and slowly calmed down. Even a small smile started to creep on my lips. Something about this felt nice.

Never thought this would happen in my life.

Noah's heartbeat began to speed up and pound louder. The pressure was much stronger against my cheek, which caused me to open my eyes and look up at his face. Before I could ask him what was wrong, his eyes grew wide and distant.

"Noah?" I backed up and waved my hand in front of his face.

He didn't reply as his hands flew to his head, then brought them over his eyes. His back met against the wall, and all I could do was stand still. Having no idea what was going on, I waited for the storm to pass.

But I couldn't take it anymore. Once he sat on the floor, I was on my knees, moving his hands away from his face. His breathing got heavier, and I was starting to worry.

"Do you want me to get you anything?"

He shook his head and muttered, "it's okay."

A few minutes went by and slowly he started to regain himself. Relief washed over his face as he placed his hands against the floor and closed his eyes.

"Actually, I'll have that water."

I turned to the glass of water that he left on my desk earlier and concentrated on it. It levitated off the table and floated its way toward me. He placed his hand out as it came closer to his hand.

He lightly chuckled. "Should've known you wouldn't actually touch the cup." His words broke my focus and the cup fell, shattering and spilling water everywhere. I jumped back, making sure the water didn't come near me.

"Noah!" I shouted. He should've known that I didn't have full control of my powers yet. All of my attention needed to be on my power.

Noah started laughing, and at first, I folded my arms and rolled my eyes. But then his laugh became contagious, which made me start laughing, too. After he stood up and helped me as well, he pulled me against his chest and it took me a moment to realize his shirt was wet.