Chapter Sixteen

"A mermaid needs protection? Why? I get it if I was being hunted by every other mythical creature out there! Maybe even then I wouldn't need a protector. Possibly, maybe, I'd need someone to fight with me, but I don't need protection!" I pulled away from Noah and walked back and forth around my room. "It sounds silly that a mermaid needs someone to protect her. What would I need protection from exactly?"

Noah shrugged. "The universe thinks you need a protector, so here I am."

Noah walked over to my mirror and looked at the journal I set there. He picked it up then walked toward the balcony doors.

"The universe is wrong." I went by Noah and grabbed the journal.

He smirked, pulling the book as he opened the balcony door. His back was pressed against the door, and I crashed right onto his chest. Well, sort of. The book was between us.

The wind blew my hair, making it cover some of my face. Noah put my hair behind my ear. I turned, causing the book to drop. I looked down as it hit my foot then landed, open. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The book was actually open. I stood there, my jaw dropped as I gasped.

Noah bent down to pick it up, but I quickly followed, slapping his hand away. He looked at me, tilting his head to the side, smiling. I didn't get why, but I was too busy getting the book to care. I picked it up, still not believing it was actually open.

I walked back inside and sat on my bed.

"You should start from the beginning." Noah told me as he closed the balcony door and sat by me.

"No, I was going to start from the end," I replied, sarcastically. I wasn't too thrilled about him knowing more than me. Though, I assumed that was part of the protector job.

Noah watched me as I turned to the first page. A piece of paper fell on my lap. I looked up at Noah. As I was about to pick it up, Noah grabbed my arm.

"Before you think about kicking me out, the reason the book opened was because I'm with you. Only when we are together, the book will reveal itself."

"Great," I mumbled.

He let go as I unfolded the paper. It was a letter from my mom. She explained why she couldn't be here for me and how sorry she was. That she had decided to live under the sea and felt that was her true home. She also wrote that the journal would answer everything and be helpful.

"I wish she could've at least visited me." I placed the letter back inside the journal.

"She's important," I turned to look at Noah. "They need her in the sea." I should go to the sea one day. "That's why you have a protector. There could be others after you to get to the people under the sea. You are just as important."

"What could they possibly use me for?" I couldn't imagine a mermaid being bad enough to do that.

"Kidnap, become bait, death. You get the idea," Noah replied.

Noah closed the journal and I glared at him. Why did he do that?

"You can read all that another time. I'm serious, if you want to read that journal let me know and I'll be there." I looked down at the journal then set it aside.Noah pulled me close while he was laying down.

"So how long have you known?" I asked, curious about this. Did he know before we met?

"I wouldn't say too long." He looked up as if watching that day unfold. "Remember that day at the beach, where I took you to my surf spot?" I nodded, waiting for him to finish. "When I touched the messenger bottle, it was like a message in my head. I found out all I needed to know about you and being a protector."