Chapter Five

"You come here everyday?! I mean, I do live close by, but I don't go to the beach that much."

I nodded, watching the waves, while Ariel was talking about how cool it was that I lived on the beach. Ariel could talk for hours, but it was okay, I knew she'd be there for me, no matter what, and I'd be there for her. I knew we've been friends for only a couple days but two loners became friends. I think we're already best friends.

"It'd be so cool to learn how to surf!"

"Yup," I said popping the p. I checked the time on my phone and it was 6:15. Then I handed the phone to Ariel. "Add your number." She smiled as she added her number. I texted her, so she'd get my number. Her white smartphone rang with a text.

"I feel like going in the water." Ariel said, watching the waves.

"Go ahead. No one said you're not allowed to touch the water."

"Come with me, I don't want to go alone."

I rolled my eyes, smiled, and got up. We walked into the water. It was always so cold at first. It took Ariel longer to get in the water since she was really shivering.

"How do you stand it! Brrrrrr!" Ariel said. I ducked into the water then came back out. I flipped my hair back. Ariel turned around, and the waves were crashing on her back. She would shiver and giggle at the same time.

"Doesn't your red dye come off every time your hair gets wet?"

"No 'cause it's my natural hair," she laughed.

"Ha. Ha."

"Oh, there's my cousin with Selena. Ugh." She pointed, spotting them from this distance. I turned around to see what she was seeing. Her cousin, her name was Holly, was standing next to Selena. Selena was holding a surfboard. Then a guy with a surfboard came. Ariel and I gasped at the same time. "Oh, that's your man!"

"He's not my man!" I pressed my lips together and rolled my eyes.

"I'm guessing he's going to teach them how to surf." Obviously.

"I don't want them to see us."

"But don't you want Noah to see you?"

"No." I said, turning around going underwater. I wished that I could stay underwater 'til they were gone. About thirty seconds later I came up for air. Damn the need for air.

I saw Ariel from the side of my eye, she had her arms folded. I looked at where Noah was standing. He was telling them something while they were laying on the boards.

"Come on, let's go," Ariel said. What if we moved, and they'd see us? Ariel grabbed her stuff and I grabbed mine. We started to run, and then a huge wave came. It knocked both of us over. Salt water was in my mouth and I was coughing it out like crazy. All my stuff got wet, including my phone.

"Noah is looking at us," Ariel whispered.

"Well, yeah! You screamed! I think China heard you!" I said, a bit annoyed. I couldn't help but look at Noah. Selena was staring at him, and she slowly turned her head following his eyes. I pressed my lips together and quickly got up. I threw my bag far away from the water, and I jumped in. My only escape. For about thirty seconds.

When I got out, I was further away from Ariel. I turned to look at her just standing there. Ahh! I ran to her as quickly as I could on the sand. I grabbed everything. I looked over at Selena, who was giving me one of her popular death stares. I waved at her and smiled. Then I saw Noah, who was looking at me.

I smiled, and Ariel grabbed my arm. We started to run away. I turned back, and saw Selena standing up. She was talking to Noah.

I pressed my lips together.

"Don't look, just keep running!" Ariel shouted.

"I'm not looking!" I rolled my eyes, even if she couldn't see.

"Riiight, and I can grow a mermaid tail."

"Ha. Ha, aren't you funny?"

"Hell yeah!"

We were finally back at my place. We both collapsed on the floor. I was facing Ariel, and she was facing me. All of a sudden, we started laughing.

"Did you see Selena's and Holly's face?" Ariel continued to laugh. "Selena was like 'I'm going to kill you' and Holly wasn't even paying attention, she was looking at the sand."

"Yeah, it was funny."

"Who cares, she's acting like a child. 'O-M-G Noah's mine and no one can have him! I'm so pretty! No one's hotter than me! The world loves me!'" Ariel said, trying to imitate her annoying voice. We both burst into laughter.

After Ariel left, I was standing in my room. I bent down and picked up my beach towel. There was something underneath it. It was those messenger bottles. Wait, what if it was the same one I lost. I picked it up.

I saw the little note inside of it. I tried to open it, but it wouldn't budge. Then the cap sparkled a little. Um, was that normal?

Since it wouldn't open, I placed the bottle on my drawer. I would figure it out later.

"Lara!" I heard my dad call. I ran down and saw my dad sitting on the couch, watching TV.

"Yes?"

"I was just checking if you were here. And you know, not sleeping at the beach again."

"Ha, ha. Maybe you should actually come check on me when I'm at the beach." I knew he cared and trusted me. No one really came to this side of the beach anyway.

"No one comes here, you're safe."

"Of course, father." I sighed, going into the kitchen. I went through the cabinet and grabbed a bowl. I searched for some cereal, then I poured the milk over it. I started eating, and plopped on the couch next to my dad.

"Torturing me with food, huh?"

I replied, but since there was cereal in my mouth, it sounded like, "yooo wann ooommee?"

My dad started laughing. I was so much more entertaining than his comedy movie.

When I finished my cereal, my dad was gone. He was in his room, and I was flipping through the channels on TV, but found nothing, so I shut it off.

I went in the kitchen to check on my phone because I put it in rice. I hoped it would turn on. I turned it on, waiting for the light to turn on. It did. Woo!

I had a text, so I opened it to see it was Ariel. 'I passed by the beach and saw Noah surfing alone.'

I texted her back saying, 'what do you want me to do about it?'

I went upstairs, took a shower, and got into my pajamas. I opened my door that led out to my balcony. I stood by the door and watched the waves.

After enjoying the view and cool air, I turned to see the message bottle glowing. Okay, that was weird. I went over to it and tried to open it, but it didn't. So annoying, why was it impossible to open?!

I threw it on the floor, hoping it'd smash open, but nothing. It landed perfectly without a crack, and I threw it! It was really freaking me out. I placed it back on the table. I'd figure it out sooner or later.