Chapter Forty-Eight

"Noah!" I screamed, trying to grab his shirt only to be pulled away from him by Asher.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I watched the Guardian bring his sword toward Noah at full force. The thought of losing Noah again was unbearable. I just got him back, sacrificing part of me to have him here alive, breathing again.

Squirming in Asher's arms, I tried to get a view of what happened to Noah. He was still standing, which hopefully meant the sword didn't stab him through the heart.

Slowly, Asher moved closer to Noah, stepping a little to the left. When he had a clear view of what was going on, both our eyes went wide. I gasped, staring at Noah's hands. They were clutching onto ice that was shaped like a sword. With as much force as he could muster, he pushed the Guardian back, making him stumble.

Noah quickly looked over his shoulder right at me. His eyes were an icy blue, similar to the ice sword he conjured.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The boy in front of me, the one I loved, had become the very beings I was trying the run away from. The race of merpeople that made me quiver at the sight of them.

How? How did this happen?

"Wow, I have no words," Asher spoke, almost dropping me. He was so focused on Noah's new power that he must've forgotten to hold me up.

"Noah?" I froze, waiting for him to confirm what I already knew. But then I remembered, we never spoke of Guardians to him. "You're a Guardian."

"Run!" Noah shouted, blocking off the sword from our opponent once again.

Asher took a couple steps back before sprinting off. Asher...running?!

He couldn't leave Noah there!

I wiggled, trying to get out of his hold, even though I couldn't do much in my mermaid form. If I let him drop me, I'd be dead fish for sure! So I stayed in his arms, only keeping my eyes on Noah.

All I gathered from that glance was Noah jumping back then sprinting toward our direction. The Guardian following close behind. If the Guardian were to throw his sword at Noah, he would get a direct hit. I only prayed that wouldn't be the case.

The boy that I cared for so much finally caught up to us. Asher had his eyes on Noah, furrowing his eyebrows and moving his lips to the side. There was curiosity in his eyes. The same thing was going through my mind.

What happened?

"Noah, where's your sword?" I asked, wondering what happened to the only chance of possibly fighting back.

"It was unstable, so it melted."

"When? How?" I muttered, unable to comprehend what had been given to Noah.

"I don't really know. All I wanted to do was protect you and then everything else happened too quickly." He looked out in front of him as if the answer to everything that just happened lay on the ground.

"We need to keep moving," Asher shouted. There wasn't any way for us to fight back as we were now. The best option was to leave and come up with a plan. We couldn't run from this all our lives.

What did Asher have in mind? Did he even have a plan?

"I won't let you escape!" The Guardian shouted as he pointed his sword toward our direction. Without a moment to waste, he launched water from the ocean behind him and commanded it to land on us.