Chapter Twenty-Six

I was only a few feet away from the water. My arms were wrapped around my legs. I tried so hard to enjoy the sound of the waves and the sand on my feet, but it didn't feel the same. I had too much on my mind, so many other important things now. 

It wasn't simple like before. 

I never asked to be a mermaid. And who knew all these problems came with being one? I thought mermaids had an attachment to the sea and enjoyed swimming all the time. They looked so peaceful, like nothing in the world could ever break them. But my image of a mermaid was obviously very wrong.

I wondered how Selena was handling it? She made it seem like it was the end of the world at first. Now, she seemed happy about it. There were times when I saw her swimming out of the ocean and it angered me. If only I could swim and not be worried about it.

She didn't even have to worry about her dark half, because she didn't have one. Well, technically she was evil, but obviously not in the same way. Her personality was dark by choice. But, me, I didn't have a choice. If something were to happen-

I didn't even want to think about it.

I also didn't like what Noah had to go through. 

I just wanted to plant my face in the sand and become one with the sand. But, nope that didn't happen, so I had to get up and move. I didn't rush to get home. I wanted to enjoy the scenery before me. As much as I tried to enjoy it, I couldn't. My mind was running with so many thoughts. I hated it.

I made it to my house and got some cash. I was thinking of buying a cold drink or some yogurt. Something to cool off with would do. 

I walked down the stairs, ready to leave, but my dad saw me. He leaned against the counter. I froze for a second. I wonder if he had a clue on what happened. That I knew pretty much all I needed to know. Possibly my relationship with Noah as well. It happened, it seemed as it was bound to. 

He knew. I was sure he did. What was I supposed to say? 

"Getting a drink, want anything?" I showed him the cash and smiled. 

"No, I'm good," he replied. 

"Alrighty." I walked all the way down and continued to the door. But once I walked by my dad, he said my name, and I stopped. "Changed your mind?" 

"No, Lara-"

"You already know, right?" He also seemed to know more about my mermaid side than I did. I wonder if the neighbor knew too, or maybe, my teachers. It could already be in the newspapers as we speak. 

"Yes." He paused, then sighed. "The way you've been, Lara." 

"Look, I'm handling it the best I can." I didn't want to talk about any of it. 

He slowly nodded. "I know, and I just want to let you know that everything will be fine. It worked out well for your mom, and you'll be fine too." It was probably the first time my dad had ever said a thing about my mom. I wished I knew more about her, but I was too afraid to ask. He never said anything and he still wasn't saying much. I would let him tell me at his own pace, even though I wanted to ask questions. 

"Thanks, Dad." I smiled, trying to show him that I did believe him. But, of course, I didn't. 

I went out and walked into the juice place. I ordered a smoothie and sat outside. I watched as the people walked by and tried to keep myself from thinking about everything. It didn't work out so well. 

At least Noah wasn't here to see me like this. I was sure he had enough of me being so quiet and confused. He could get away from my negative energy, but there was no way I could leave my feelings and thoughts.