Chapter Fifty

"Aww, way to ruin my fun."

"Luka?" I questioned. "What is she talking about?"

Asher laughed. That kind of laugh that sends shivers down my spine. It was almost villainous, but not quite.

"How'd you find out? The mermaid leaders didn't believe it to be so. If they did, I would've been done with long ago."

"Huh. I wasn't exactly sure myself, but you just confirmed it for me. For us. So now, we can get rid of you." Selena gripped her sword tightly, ready to slice Asher when it came to it.

"Aww, after I tried to help you back then. This is how you repay me?" Asher shook his head. Obviously not pleased with Selena pointing her sword at him.

He tilted his head to the side and chuckled. His cracked face terrified me more than anything. It fit with his newfound personality.

Noah took a step back and was on alert. I looked up at his face, seeing him grinding his teeth and looking at Asher with distaste. What if Noah never had amnesia? Would he know about this side of Asher?

My father and Noah didn't like Asher. Neither did my mom.

But he was helping me all this time.

"This feeling..." Noah whispered.

"That was still you? No way." Selena answered in disbelief.

"Of course. It's been like this for almost a year."

My jaw dropped. Who was this guy then? I spent all this time with Asher and it turned out he wasn't who he said he was. What was going on?

"Who are you?" I asked.

Asher swung his head in my direction. I cringed at the sight of his face. If only he would put his cloak back on. I knew now why he was wearing it.

Selena rolled her eyes. "Were you not listening?"

"I didn't ask you!" Ugh.

"I guess I have to do this now. Although, I don't have the time. But I think that's what this little Guardian wants." His eye glanced at Selena for a second. "Kind of sucks that I can't see you with both my eyes. Double the glare to get my hatred across."

"I got it. Don't worry," Selena said.

"Good." Asher clapped his hands together. "I wish your kind wasn't one of the things we had to deal with. Downside for you guys, you all die, and have no clue what I'm capable of. This game is silly. You're lucky, I can't do anything with my current state. I prefer not to die here."

Did Asher forget to answer me? He was mostly focused on Selena.

"I'm tired of this." Selena swung her sword at Asher, but instead of ducking or moving aside, he grabbed the sword.

"Your sword and I are made of the same ice. It can't get to me, so you better have a backup plan." He held on tighter, almost snapping it in half. Asher smirked, moving her sword up and down to mess with her.

Selena narrowed her eyes and continued to grip her sword tightly.

I couldn't believe what was happening, unable to make sense of what I was seeing. My head was spinning trying to figure it all out. If Asher was actually this person named Luka, then why did he hide that?

"I think I remember. But it's a little fuzzy," Noah said, looking down at me.

"Remember what?" My heart started to pound faster.

"The story of Luka." He shook his head.

When I stared at his eyes, they were far away. It seemed like something was flashing before them. And whatever it was, it looked horrifying. If only I could see what he was seeing. But there was no way I would be able to.