seven

I spent the entire week trying to stay on Professor Hemmings' good side. The last thing I needed was to get detention again and end up in Headmistress Morris's office. I was basically pouting all week in English, biting my tongue from making a smart-ass comment to everything Professor Hemmings said even though it was so tempting and he left himself wide open for so many insults.

I also spent the week hanging out quietly with the girls, not seeing much of Alex because of his practices and my homework and studying to do. Basically I spent the entire week having my own pity party because nothing seemed to be going my way even though nothing was really going wrong either.

"Miss Williams, will stay for a minute please?" Professor Hemmings asked me as class ended on Friday afternoon while I packed up my belongings.

I stopped and held my bag over my shoulder, walking to his desk as a few of the last few students left the classroom.

"I couldn't help but notice that you have been rather quiet this week," he said as he stood and erased the board from his lecture of the day.

"That's pretty observant of you," I said.

"Though you clearly haven't lost your mouth," he replied.

"I wouldn't be able to talk or eat or suck dick without one," I shrugged.

He turned and glared at me, turning back to the board as he finished erasing.

"You really have no filter," he said, putting the eraser down and turning back to me. "Which is why I was surprised that you've kept your comments to yourself this week. Or have you simply run out of your disrespectful remarks?"

"Oh no, I still think them all throughout class," I informed him. "I have just learned my lesson that speaking out in class is rude and if I want to get into uni then I better stay on your good side."

"More like get on my good side," he said. "I am still watching you very closely, Miss Williams. No funny business."

"Oh, I wouldn't dream of it," I smiled and turned around, walking towards the door with a little bounce in my step.

"Wait a minute," he said. "I had one other thing I wanted to talk to you about."

I turned around and faced him, walking forward when he motioned for me to come closer as he shuffled something around on his desk.

"Next quarter there will be an advanced English class," he said. "I think--as painful as it is for me to admit it--you are very intelligent and you would do well in this class."

"I am very intelligent, thank you for noticing," I said, smirking at him and he rolled his eyes.

"Anyway, think about it," he said. He handed me a paper. "This has more information about it."

I took the paper and stuffed into my bag. "Am I excused now, sir?"

"Yes." He watched me as I turned and exited, heading towards the library to do my studying and homework for the week, then stopped and remembered I had other plans with someone else for the night and headed back toward my room instead.

I honestly wasn't refraining from mouthing off to Professor Hemmings for the sake of wanting to get into uni and get on his good side; I was holding myself back because I was just sick of getting detention all the time. Plus it was more fun to be quiet during class and mouth off to him outside of class just to keep him on his toes. He didn't seem as irritated with me anymore, and he was beginning to get used to my vulgar language despite the fact that my parents raised me to be prim and proper. I'll sit with my legs crossed and raise my little finger while I sip my tea but when they're not watching, hell if I'll be that same good little princess they see all the time.